Stood up for myself at work

Share your successes with others
TransformationIsBliss

Post by TransformationIsBliss » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:31 am

The other day at work, an employee who wanted me to book a room for her came up to me and was quite condescending in her tone while pointing her finger in my face as she was telling me what to do.

I sat there for about 5 minutes just amazed at how I had been treated. And then I got up off my chair, went right to her office, sat down beside her and looked her square in the eyes.
I said "You can't treat me that way. You were very condescending. There was no please and thank you and I don't appreciate it."

She couldn't look me in the eye as she was shocked that I confronted her about the way she had jumped all over me. All she said was that "I don't know what you are talking about and I have a migraine and work to do."

So I calmly said "Great conversation (and her name)." And then I walked out of her office.

I cannot tell you how empowered that made me feel. Just to know that I don't have to take any guff from anyone ever again feels FREAKIN' AMAZING!!!

PS. Had to add that I am off coffee completely as of two days ago - have been drinking it since I was a child and am now 38. So that's a BIG one for me since it made me way to jittery and nervous. The other thing is that the day I had the confrontation I had just started lesson 3.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:52 am

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm SOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU AND PROUD OF YOU.

That took guts, you are an inspiration to me and will be to all who suffers from low self esteem and has a very difficult time being assertive to others.

It's posts like these that really keep us moving ahead on this journey.

Congrats on giving up cofee also..I know that's a huge struggle for many as well.

THANKYOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORY!!! :D

God Bless and keep going.

kappaman

Post by kappaman » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:10 am

Congratulations!

I'm quite impressed as well. I do want to hear more of these Assertiveness triumphs!

I have gotten "past" session 7 (I think that was assertiveness), but I have not managed to make many changes. It is still SO difficult for me.

Would others PLEASE share their triumphs here?

Thanks!

Jess2005

Post by Jess2005 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:31 am

You did awesome! I'm so impressed with how you handled that situation - you stated the facts with how you were feeling.
You should be really proud of yourself. Keep it up! :)

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Thank you Monty's Mom, Sunbound, and Marybc for your encouraging and supportive comments to me. It means a lot!!

UPDATE:

I hadn't seen the person I had had "words" with since this past Wednesday so I was a tad antsy about seeing her again today. I shouldn't have been.

I had emailed her to let her know that she could book her own rooms and set up direct billing herself from now on. She tried to do it but didn't know how to. She came to me quite apologetically and asked for my help. She also emailed me asking for my help.

The person I am dealing with now is quite different from the person I was dealing with last Wednesday, and that makes me very happy.

I am glad that she has given some thought to her actions and turned things around between us. I am definitely willing to assist her, with her new pleasant attitude.

So much good stuff is coming out of this course and tomorrow is my last day on session 3!!

Excellent!!!

Don57

Post by Don57 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:22 pm

You have the perfect user name..I am soooooo
happy it worked out this way for you.

You are an inspiration and one gutsy & classy lady.

WAY TO BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger, the smarter, the faster hand; But sooner or later the person who wins is the one who thinks "I can." Author Unknown

http://dp19032k9.webs.com

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:36 am

TransformationIsBliss.

Thank you for the story. I (and many others) have the same situation at work. No matter how hard you work and give 100%, it's never good enough for some people. When my boss USED TO tell me off for things, I just told myself that he needs these tapes ! LOL
The less I responded to his "barking", the less he barked. (Sometimes that ment a trip to the washroom for me so I could recover). That was a classy move on your part. Someone in that conversation needed to be the adult. That was you.