I didn't know that I had made such progress

Share your successes with others
bradley1960

Post by bradley1960 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:42 am

One morning recently I awoke with the typical knot in my stomach, the tension in my chest, and dreaded going to work. I hit snooze as usual three individual times as to wake a little slower. On the last alarm I sat up and groaned "I don't want to do this." My wife whom I thought to be sleeping said "Yes you do, remember your program. I immediatly said to myself and God "thankyou for another day to enjoy and do good in, including the chance to perform my job well." This was the first time in quite a while I had so much dread in the morning and that usually meant gagging as I dressed for work. But the sincerity of that thankyou made that symptom nonexistant this particulr morning. Something else to be thankful for. And tjhe day continued this way. Yet all day I had tension in my chest and stomach and had to keep duplicating the relaxation tape. I had to really cocentrate to not make any mistakes on the vehicles I diagnosed and repaired. Upon getting home I told my wife about the situation and said "I just culdn't find the thought that was causing the symptoms so at lunch I rewrote as many ngeative thoughts as I could imagine myself having". At that point I realized that even after several of the first sessions of this program I wouldn't had that type of response to those feelings! Ibecame very emotional because I wasn't seeing the progress all that clearly. When I realized how much progress I had actually made I had one more thing to be thankful for. And so I was. Each time leads to another just like the obsessive thoughts used to. So if you don't think you are making progress don't keep looking for the progress look for a reason to be thankful for the stressful situation and the progress will show itself. It's been three weeks since that day and I have not gagged as I prepared for work since, and some mornings it is a reach to be thankful but it has worked. Next all of the body symptoms!!! don't give up and believe you are making progress even when you can't see it. YOU ARE AND YOU WILL CONTINUE . I hope this example heps all who read it to realize thier own progress no matter how visable it may seem. With much caring and support God bless your commitment to this program and yourself, Bradley

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:10 am

thanks for your note. every morning before work i suffer the same symptoms. i do agree that being grateful and focusing on small things to be thankful about bring about some kind of inexplicable change. this morning (although not a workday, i noticed the green grass of my backyard, my two cats running around, the frosty air, the one mockingbird in the tree.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:08 pm

It is great when I read that someone had a hard time but can still find reasons to be thanful...

Graditude....is the way to life....those of us working through the program seem to have issue with being positive because our minds live in a negative state....as I have forced myself to move forward, be positive and simply be happy...I have found it to be easier everyday and am so greatful for that.

Thank-you for your post and best of luck...Michelle

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:49 am

thanks for sharing with me. Sometimes it's hard to get going. But when people like the two of you are willing to share successes those in despair may understand one more thing. Maybe one more light bulb will go on for another. I know sharing on this website has definitly helpped me. And it's due tio people like you. Once again thanks for your responses and God bless. Bradley

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:53 am

There's a dent on the top of the snooze bar on my alarm clock too ! LOL Thanks for the positive story !

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks for the humor. Iv'e found laughter helps too. Don't damage the alarm bad enough that it wake you up late. That would be more stress. LOL. thanks and God bless, Bradl;ey