Decided to deal with +30 year old issue: lip picking.

Share your successes with others
Finn Goldfish

Post by Finn Goldfish » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:44 pm

I had no idea that this was a disorder. I've been picking my lips and feet for as long as I can remember (definately since before 5). It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:14 pm

2timemom and Finn Goldfish,

I too did not realize it was a disorder until I googled "lip picking."

<A HREF="http://www.stoppickingonme.com" TARGET=_blank>www.stoppickingonme.com</A> is the equivalent of this forum for skin pickers.

Here is another link. <A HREF="http://facepick.tripod.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://facepick.tripod.com/</A>

J.

Post by J. » Sun May 25, 2008 10:01 am

Congratulations. You are the first person I've ever read about who stated that he was going to seek his higher power ("the Man upstairs") to deal with this problem. That's what He wants you to do. Go for it. I'm a "recovering lip picker" (among other things from which I'm recovering:) and it is so refreshing to hear from someone who finally gets it. This is what your creator wants you to do...lean on Him. He'll walk right beside you every step of the way through it. Believe me, I know!

butcha

Post by butcha » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:37 am

wow this is so unreal to me i have been picking my lips for about 12 years and today i was looking for something for me and my hubby to do this weekend on the internet and as i was looking i was picking my bottom.and my hubby said why dont u look up stop picking my lip joking around cuz it drives him crazy.so i typed it in and i was in shock to find blogs and other types of web sites like this 1. and omg they even have a name for it.i had no idea it was this serous i just thought i was weird.

Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:30 am

J., and butcha.

Thanks so much for the replies. I am sorry I am just responding now.

I had been going through a lot of stress, negativity, anxiety and depression with work. Because of this, I was so obsessed (pun intended :D) on finding work. Even though I was still lip picking, my mind was so focued on the above emotions, I kind of "forgot" about the lip picking. Now with things better--in particular a new job--and today I picked my lip and noticed, I remembered this thread. Again: Sorry. :(
Congratulations. You are the first person I've ever read about who stated that he was going to seek his higher power ("the Man upstairs") to deal with this problem. That's what He wants you to do. Go for it. I'm a "recovering lip picker" (among other things from which I'm recovering and it is so refreshing to hear from someone who finally gets it. This is what your creator wants you to do...lean on Him. He'll walk right beside you every step of the way through it. Believe me, I know!
Thank you, thank you!!
i was in shock to find blogs and other types of web sites like this 1. and omg they even have a name for it.i had no idea it was this serous
I was just as shocked as you. I just started googling and lo and behold.

Beebers

Post by Beebers » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:50 am

OMG! I have been picking my bottom lip for 31 years! We're talking for hours on end. One time I actually picked it for 7 hours straight! It's totally a way for me to zone out. I feel nothing when I pick, except this burning feeling in my stomache. I have gone through enough lip for a run way! I also have gone through enough lipstick to supply a small country.
I am in recovery for other addictions and I see this as no different. There is a "high" while picking and also a low. Just today, on my lunch hour I spent the whole hour picking and feeling frustration and upset about having to go back out into public with the red open wounds. The pain is second nature to me at this point. I just don't like the way it looks afterwards, and I HATE how I ignore my animal and finace' while picking! I truly want to be present, and I am at the point where I'm willing to face the pain that comes up that my picking may have been supressing.

I feel so relieved that there is an actual name for this disorder. I have done hynotherapy for it, and at until today, I have felt like I am a lost cause. It's good to know that I am not alone in this battle.
I have quite smoking, drugs and alcohol, but the lip picking is my last hurdle, to live a full, happy and present life.

THANK YOU ALL!

Beebers

Post by Beebers » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:19 am

The other thing I wanted to add to this forum is that Camphophenique is a medication that I put on my lip after vigorous picking. It heals it literally over night. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing! It stings when you put it on, but for those of us who are ammuned to the pain, it actually feels good.

Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Wow! I remember Camphophenique!!

I know what you're saying about overnight healing--whether it's good or bad. If the lips heals right away it usually results in another patch of dry skin (which for us is like saying "sick em" to a dog. ;))

30Erin

Post by 30Erin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:12 am

Hi there,
I started lip and finger picking in preschool. I do it without realizing it and then once I feel it hurt I try to back off, but it's the need to finish it. While a teenager, I did it because I was angry with many things and figured it was better to take it out on myself than someone else. I am aware that children will watch you and mimick so I try very hard to stop lip/finger picking but if we are watching a movie I do it. If I am stressed I do it, if I'm anxious I do it, if I am bored I do it. It's the craziest thing. Trying to combat it before we have our own kids and I'm tired of feeling embarrassed by awful looking lower lip and injured index finger.

linuss

Post by linuss » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Charlie, I don't know if you read this site anymore because I noticed that the last time you wrote anything was in 2008 but I have the exact same problems as you. I have compulsively bit my lip since I was around seven years old and I also have extreme health anxiety. I was looking up compulsive lip picking because I just had a baby and it seems my health anxiety has transferred over to my son and my lip picking has become extreme. Do you sometimes get extreme anxiety for no reason? When you are going through a bout of anxiety do you find it very difficult to concentrate on anything especially when people are talking to you?