Decided to deal with +30 year old issue: lip picking.

Share your successes with others
Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:49 pm

I couple of days before New Year’s Eve I was standing in the men's room at my job. Instead of making a resolution I thought: what else can I work on and self-improve? The question was quickly answered: lip picking.

I have been picking my lip for over 30 years. I guess I started around 8 or 10. I can remember being around this age, standing in front of a full-length mirror and watching my fingers pull at dry skin on my lip. I am 42 now. Most of the time I pick my skin during stressful, anxious, or frustrating times. When it bleeds my mind's reply is the usual: the bleeding was unfortunate but I had to pull/pick the lip. It feels good afterwards when I run my finger over the picked area and it's smooth. The majority of times when I pick I also go into a trance. I guess that since the majority of the trigger is stress and/or anxiety/frustration, the trance takes me away from the negativity--momentarily blocks it out.

Sometimes I will pick when I am bored, when I am concentrating, or for no apparent reason.

I have pretty much gotten used to the pain and afterwards always feel bad about the red spot that occurs after the bleeding has stopped.

I found a forum that deals exclusively with skin picking. I will also research books. At this point I am trying to avoid going to therapy because (1) finances and (2) despite the length of time for this issue, it is in not pressing like the health anxiety has been. I am going slow with this because when I read about other lip pickers, I started getting anxious. I know why. This is an issue stemming from my childhood and may unlock negativity that the picking actually was blocking out. I am also working with a Partner…the Man Upstairs. He will protect me when the “going gets tough”, “advise” me to back off and take a break, and help me overcome this. No time limit. It doesn’t matter how long it takes. Victory, like with the health anxiety, will be mine.
;)

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Charlie,, Congrats to you!!!
Strange i used to do that to, ive had dry skin my whole life and my lips were always chapped, so i hated the feeling of that skin on my lips.
When i got married, i noticed my husband put vaseiline on his lips everynite. So, i finally asked him, what that was for?
He told me if you put it on there at night, your lips stay smoothe and no dry skin!!! HOORAY!!! I started doing it, and GUESS WHAT??
After about a week,, NO MORE dry peely lips!!!
I been doing this for over 35 yrs now, every nite,, and its wonderful!!!
Ya might try that, and see if it works for you! Nelly:)

Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:23 pm

Mello Nello,

Thanks for the kudos. And thanks for the info on vaseline. I am definitely going to try it! Tell your husband thanks too.

:)

mblock

Post by mblock » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:51 pm

I have that same problem. I pick my lip and area's of my skin to the point where i have scars. I didn't realize that this was a side effect of anxiety until recently. I have been doing this for so many years and just thought i was weird.

Thanks for letting me know there are others out there

Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:27 pm

mblock,

Here is a link on this ailment. I just learned a few days ago it's name. It is called dermatillomania or compulsive skin picking.

<A HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatillomania" TARGET=_blank>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatillomania</A>

ONB1983

Post by ONB1983 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:24 pm

Wow. I didn't realize it was an issue like most you as well. I pick my lips as well as the inside of my lower lip. I also pick at my cuticles a lot, bleeding occurs but usually I don't realize it until I have stained something. Guess that's something i should be more observant of. I am only on session three, but maybe as I progress and learn to control some of my other behavior this will subside as well.

Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:09 pm

ONB1983,

Sorry I didn't get to you sooner. I have been going through a lot of stress and physical responses to the stress which is job related. I am looking for another job.

I myself didn't know picking the lip had a medical name to it. I just figured it was a real bad habit. Then I Googled "lip picking" and found about this compulsive act.

AMANDAJ

Post by AMANDAJ » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:54 am

Charlie Brown

I have bitten and chewed my lips for a number of years now. I try to keep chapstick on me to apply when necessary to prevent them from getting to dry. It isn't always possible to have it with me but I try to keep it with me. Even with my busy schedule it is important to pamper and take care of ourselves. We could all try to remember to do this. It would bother me to feel the uneveness as well.

AmandaJ

Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:24 pm

AMANDAJ,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I did not respond sooner. My intention on the lip picking has been replaced with dealing resurrected anxiety stemming from stress related to work. Unfortunately the health anxiety has returned as I have been experiencing stress-related body symptoms like chest tightness, stomach pain and other "goodies" :roll:. The lip-picking campaign is on the backburner.

2timemom

Post by 2timemom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:47 pm

Strange, I have been a lip picker for 30 years or more myself. Matter of fact, I was sitting picking my bottom lip reading this forum. I did not know this was a disorder or an anxiety related issue. I will now think of that every time i pick and maybe I will be able to stop too!