Has anyone mentioned beta-blockers?

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
doogiet

Post by doogiet » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 pm

I haven't seen any topics on beta-blockers, so i thought I'd make a few comments.

For those of you who don't know, beta-blockers nullify the body's production of adrenaline. So if you're in a situation that usually produces anxiety, like a racing heart or shallow breathing, a beta-blocker will stop that from happening.

The best example I can give is the one about walking in the woods and a sabretooth tiger appears. If you're on a beta-blocker and the tiger appears, you'd have no physical reaction. You might think, "Oh, damn it" and want to run, but the pounding heart and the rest just wouldn't happen. In this scenario the tiger would probably kill you, but most of them are in zoos nowawadays. ;)

I bring this up because they're not mentioned on any of the tapes, and because I haven't seen them mentioned here. You don't take them daily, you take them as the situation dictates. Musicians use them for recitals and auditions. Archers and sharpshooters used them in the Olympics, but they were banned as a performance-enhancing drug.

My doctor prescribed me one called suppressor, and I've only had to use it a few times. The first time I used it was at a rock concert, because in the past I'd get anxious and want to leave. But with the beta-blocker, there were no body symptoms, and so I wasn't afraid.

If you take a beta-blocker before you go into a situation that usually makes you anxious, your body won't react and instead of focusing on how terrible you feel and the need to run, you can see the situation for what it truly is: chances are there's no need to escape (except in the case of the tiger).

I can't underestimate how powerful this drug has been for me cognitively. Instead of freaking out, your body physically can't freak out, and so you break the link in your mind between the situation and the body symptoms.

I recently joined a jazz band. I took a beta-blocker for the audition and the first few rehearsals, but now that I'm comfortable with the situation, I haven't taken one since, and that was back in September.

Anyway, I thought this might be useful information for people. As usual, talk to your doctor, etc. :)

-d-

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:29 pm

Hello Everyone!
I have taken a beta Blocker daily, EVERY DAY, since 2001.
I've met up with several 'tigers' since then and believe me, got a rush of adrenalan.

I guess it must depend on the strength of the dose and the person taking it.

Nearly everyone's chemical make-up is dif.
One almost has to trust the doctor on this one , on an induvidual basis.
Also on the diagnoses.

There are no generalities on this. one size doesn't fit all.

Not being contrary here. Just a thought.
MJ

doogiet

Post by doogiet » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:50 am

Really? Interesting. Are you taking one every day for anxiety?

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:47 pm

On no.
I take it for high blood pressure and tachycardia.
I also take another bp med. Lisinopril.

Right now I'm recovering from a single mastectomy. Doing well.
Take care, DoogieT
Sounds like you are doing pretty well too, now.
MJ

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:49 pm

oops!
I meant to say (or write): Oh No.
Not on no.
Sorry.
MJ

doogiet

Post by doogiet » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:24 pm

Well, it has multiple uses. If you're taking it for that sort of thing, I wouldn't imagine the dose would be high enough to kill anxiety, but I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

All I know is that it works wonders for me. :)

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:51 am

My doctor had mentioned beta blockers to me years ago when I was having trouble finding a med that helped my anxiety. My mother had been on them for medical reasons for a long time and they made her very tired, so I didn't want to take them. I've been hearing lately though from people taking them that it has helped their anxiety a great deal.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:09 am

Doogiet:
You brought up some good points. Never underestimate yourself. You are doing well.

BTW, I take 50 mlg of the stuff.

Mary:
I wondered why that I get so tired so soon.
I guess that is a real draw-back. I do get so very tired.
But yet, I feel better than before they put me on it. In other ways.
Thanks for that information.

My best to you both!
MJ

honeydew3

Post by honeydew3 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:11 pm

My doc hasd put me on 20mg 2 times daily but I still get palpatations.....especially at night. Anyone else relate? When I wake up and feel them my anxiety goes and it races more. On a monitor now and hoping that they might consider higher dose...or a different med. Anyone else go through this? Thank you..Laura

SES_Nurse

Post by SES_Nurse » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:52 am

I am also on beta-blockers for Mitral Valve Prolapse. When I have palpitations, I have more anxiety which causes even more palpitaions. I also take Xanax in a small sode, but don't have to take every day. I am on Buspar everyday, and hope after I finish this program I can get off all medications. Good luck.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”