Has anyone mentioned beta-blockers?

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
SES_Nurse

Post by SES_Nurse » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:52 am

I am also on beta-blockers for Mitral Valve Prolapse. When I have palpitations, I have more anxiety which causes even more palpitaions. I also take Xanax in a small sode, but don't have to take every day. I am on Buspar everyday, and hope after I finish this program I can get off all medications. Good luck.

Don57

Post by Don57 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Mary Jane,

One side affect of most blood pressure med, according to my doc, is fatigue or weakness. I've had to go off of two BP meds thus far due to fatigue. Just could not stay up as a result of taking them. I've been off of the last one, lisinopril, for 3 weeks now and my energy level has returned. But now I've just started taking metoprolol tonight for BP. Trying to find one I can tolerate for BP. It's taken me 5 months to figure out it was the BP meds and not depression meds that were creating the problems. So, the lisinopril and/or beta-blocker could be the culprit with the fatigue.
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger, the smarter, the faster hand; But sooner or later the person who wins is the one who thinks "I can." Author Unknown

http://dp19032k9.webs.com

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:24 am

Hi Don!
Thanks for that information. You know, you and Mary Wargo have really enlightened me as to what my tiredness is due to.
And that is good!!!
You see, I've just been beating myself up, often thinking I am just lazy and not trying hard enough. Really down on myself many, many days at a time.
I had attributed my tiredness to my age off and on. But then, I would see such spry elderly folk , doing so much better than I seemed to be able to do.
Well, the truth is that I take 50 mlg. of metropolol (sp?) and 40 mlg. of lisinopril a day. Both of them of a morning. Plus I take a water pill daily too. And sometimes 2 dif . water pills. Oh yes!!
So, of course, I'm tired!!! LOL LOL

I don't seem to have too much problem with the diastolic pressure. It is the systolic that the doctors get all concerned about. It runs high without the medication. And doctor's get all bent out of shape because I have that along with diabetes.
So I really don't think there is any hope that they'd change the meds.
The meds are keeping my BP about 130/60 and that is what the doctors like. LOL
So they aren't likely to change those medciations.
But the good thing is - you have shed light on my situation and I can stop punishing myself for what I thought was laziness. I'm not lazy, I am really tired. LOL LOL LOL
But I can keep trying to accomplish. And that is good too.
But if I'm inclined to spend an extra hour reading, or watching TV or here on the computer, that is fine also. I have an excuse now...
Thank you very much!!!
No, kidding aside. It is very helpful to understand now that these meds will make me tired. And to accept that, since I probably need to take them.

It is nice anyway to take the metropolol because it cuts down on those uncomfortable flip=flops that I often feel in my chest.
(palpatations, I suppose, but doctors say my heart is okay).
For the most part, I feel pretty good for 80 years.
I'm very thankful.
I live near the new WalMart , Don. It is nice over here.
Thanks again!!
Mary Jane

Don57

Post by Don57 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:11 pm

I can relate to beating up yourself over the tiredness. I had no clue what was causing it but knew it wasn't normal since I couldn't jog anymore. Didn't have the strength to do 3 miles anymore. My doc suggested it could be my "motivation" and that really ticked me off. LOL. But after being off of the meds for 3 weeks it was crystal clear it was the BP meds. Only 2 days on the metoprolol so far. Too early to tell if it's not going to make me fatigued. I've got my fingers crossed.

When this started in late Oct. 2008 I attributed it to too much depression meds and kept reducing them over time until totally off of them. That only lasted a week and I had to go back on them. At that point, in January of this year, I began to suspect the BP med.
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger, the smarter, the faster hand; But sooner or later the person who wins is the one who thinks "I can." Author Unknown

http://dp19032k9.webs.com

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Good evening!
I hope the metoprolol works for you. If not I think there are many more BP meds to try.
I know what you mean about being off the anti-depressant.
I tried for several months to go off my risperdal. I finally made it and got off it completely in Sept. I think. I did pretty good for a while. I thought I felt better for a good while.
I stayed off for about 5 or 6 months. But some of that time I didn't do so well. But I wanted to be med free so badly. I stayed off it.
However, I had to go back on it this month. Just a few days ago.really. I was having some anger problems. And I doubted the validity of people.
Family mostly. I just wasn't right. And sleep was a pretty big problem.
I was diagnosed once with Bi-polar. I've always doubted that. i could find so many reasons for why I would be depressed. And the times when they felt I might be manic, I attributed to being on medication. ETC. So I just never knew. And I did not have complete trust in doctors. Not doctors who treat this kind of problems.
However, I'm almost ready to admit that perhaps I am mildly bi-polar. Really , it doesn't matter anymore whether I am or not. Only a minute amount of the risperdal keeps me comfortable and with less depression and sleeping reasonably well. (not long sleep but better than without it). I'm taking 1/4 mlg. of the risperdal and that seems to work okay.
(antidepressants give me tachycardia and keep me awake). The risperdal works okay if I don't take too much of it.
And at my age what dif. does it make anyway.

I'm feeling pretty good right now with the med.
And my relationships are better than they were for a while there. The anger and suspicion are gone for the most part.
My spiritual life is better with the med., I think.

So all is going pretty well right now.

My best to everyone.
MaryJane

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”