Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Mitch Carter

Post by Mitch Carter » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:30 am

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site. I'm a 19 yr. old sophomore in college. I've never been diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I have really bad social anxiety. I'm extremely paranoid in public to the point that I think that everyone outside my circle thinks I'm weird, I have trouble making and maintaining healthy friendships, and the list goes on. I have really crappy resources, so does anyone have any advice for me to help me with this situation? Also, if you can really relate to me, just send me a private msg and we can talk. It's always nice to have someone to relate to. THanks alot everyone!!!

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:33 pm

hello, well your in the rite website for your social anxiety, do you have the program? if you do not then u need to get it, so u too can be on the road to recovery..... Take care.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 am

Hi Mitch: Have you always been shy and uncomfortable in groups of people that you don't know well? Do you socialize out of guilt because you're afraid what others think, then are the first one to leave a gathering? There's nothing wrong with being shy, but you can't let it keep you from enjoying getting out and meeting new friends and acquaintances. Try to meet someone who is very sociable, and tag along with them. If they are into situations that you're uncomfortable with (sporting events, bars, etc.) then keep looking for someone who has the same interests that you do. Use the program, and keep a journal of how you feel in different sitations. Don't worry that someone thinks your weird. If they do, they do. They may change their mind once they get to know you better, but you can't harp on it cause it aint healthy. Obsessing about what others think can only make you pull back into your shell even more. Part of your worry could be that you're away from home, maybe for the first time, and you are homesick. Getting out with and making new friends helps pass the time, and is a great support network. If you go to church/synagogue, that's always a good release and a pastor, rabbi or priest is a good, safe confidant when you're feeling bad. Take time out of your schedule to go to the gym on campus and work up a good sweat. That helps release endorphines that will make you feel relaxed - just don't do it within about 4 hours of bedtime. Stay off sugar, chocolate and caffeine and you will feel much better too. All the best with school and your social life!

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”