Anyone stop drinking because of anxiety?

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Diggy

Post by Diggy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:20 pm

I started drinking at a young age of 14... looked older and was able to go to the store/bar in urban areas and get served. I stopped drinking for about 2 years when i got pregnamt with my daughter.... after i split with her father I started going out to clubs drinking with friends, which probably was reason I suffered anxiety and depression soon after in 99. I only had a drink when out with friends after that , until my father passsed in 2002... from then i had a fear of drinking because he was an alcoholic. I noticed that drinking always made me feel worse the next day , somewhat depressed so now I don't drink at all.

Molly O

Post by Molly O » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:22 pm

I am scared that if i stop drinking I will not know how to act around others. I have had this fake life now for over 5 years. I have lost wonderful friends because I will not go somewhere unless I know I can drink or already have a good buzz on. I am not even 30 yet but I feel I have already lost so much of my life. My family has a history of alcohlism and I always told myself that it would never happen to me. Until my older sister passed away, I think that is where I lost all hope. It was down hill from there. I do not want to live this lifestyle any longer because I want to live and experience life without alcohol. Will this program help me?Am I alone?

DonS

Post by DonS » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:05 am

I spent the last twenty years of my life playing music in bars and as you can guess, water was never the drink of choice. I was loaded 5 nights a week for 20yrs! And also, being a little OCD, if I was at a party and I was already a little drunk, I'd have another beer JUST BECAUSE IT WAS THERE. No self control whatsoever. I'm still this way with sweets and other things so I don't keep them around much anymore.
Last year, before I had my major panic attack, the one that changed my whole world, I was drinking a half a bottle of wine a night or sometimes the whole thing, every night. There was no off night. At one point, upon checking my online statement for Jan, I noticed that I had spent $390 in my favorite liquor store on wine. IN ONE MONTH!
After my panic attack I attempted to drink more every day off I had, to try and squelch the demons in my head. It didn't work. It didn't make me relax. Quite the opposite, really. Same with smoking. (Which I've finally been able to stop!)
Now, I buy a bottle of wine occassionally and will have a couple of glasses before bed every once in a while. AND, if I buy a bottle of wine I don't always open it as soon as I get home JUST BECAUSE IT'S THERE because I think I've finally gotten a little hold on the OCD thing.
Even when I go out with my girl and we go to a restaurant, bar, or concert, I no longer have to get a beer or other drink IMMEDIATELY because it's there or drink 5 or 6 to have a good time. I guess I leave it up to me to relax (as someone else already said) and don't put the power into something that comes out of a bottle. I drink now for the taste and the enjoyment of that. And let's face it, after 4-6 drinks we are not in control of ourselves. What's the point of that?
Especially at our ages?? :D
I've done the program, work out and run on a weekly basis (Body for Life), and started takin Celexa (which I've only been on for about 5 wks but have had a VERY positive reaction to!) and am a LOT happier than I've been in months and years.
At first, I was afraid to change as much or more as I was of the future, but you gotta change things in your life if you want to feel better. That's the truth.
Anyway, sorry for the rant and maybe getting OT but I felt compelled to say some of this stuff.
Alcohol in moderation can be ok but do yourself a favor and drink more water and less booze. It's not something that is needed all the time.
Thanks for listening.
Good luck out there. You can do it!!!
D.

teasha

Post by teasha » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:45 am

Wow DonS! You have inspired me so much! I have known for years that i am a total alcoholic. I am about 100 lbs. and i go out and drink 10+ beers. Imagine how in control i am! LOL Not so much! I feel so bad the next day. Throwing up, anxiety, scarey thoughts, guilt... u name it!! Not its not worth it...but thats why it's an addiction. I want to stop so bad for me, my 2 gorgeous kids, my husband etc... I say this now because i'm hungover but by day 4 or 5 of not drinking i feel so good, happy and feel the craving again and make up every excuse in my head that it's ok to drink...i don't have a problem...blah blah blah. I need help. I didn't binge drink for about 2 wks awhile back and actually went to the mall with my son just to hang out with him. Never have i done that! It felt so good but that night i screwed it all up. It's like i won't let myself be happy! Any advice anyone?

a was taken so, call me ag

Post by a was taken so, call me ag » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:41 pm

Can someone give me a clue about this?

I'm 26, I work a 9-5 but I notice my hands start to shake a few hours after noon, sometimes much later than noon, maybe 6pm. It doesn't seem to affect my work, but I notice it when I reach for my cup of coffee or crappy herbal tea. It goes away after about 2 or 3 hours.

I wake up about 7:30-8am, enough time to get showered, shave, put smart clothes on and dry my hair before arriving at work for 9am. I never drink during work time unless I'm accompanied to a pub or it's a work event before I get home from there and a group go out afterwards, which is never.

I wake up feeling 'groggy' most days but after 11am I function probably better than most there; well enough in a very demanding Design based environment, meanwhile the majority of my day is also spent doing HTML coding and building websites with CSS too.

It's geeky stuff and I get along fine still, usually quicker than the others on equivalent tasks!

Most evenings after work I drink a bottle of cheap 7.5%UK cider which, is 22.5 units, 3 litres. Sometimes I have some with my girlfriend afterwards too. This is bugging me because I understand the RDA of 4 UKunits max for a man.

Can someone give me a clue about this? It's not impairing me throughout the next day.

I know what's supposed to be going on with my liver, yet I feel perfectly fine during the daytime, not hungover, obviously functioning well etc. I've been doing this since I went to uni at 18, probably much worse then. This is an everyday thing by the way.

Post by a was taken so, call me ag » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:53 pm

Just read through the entire thread - anyone with kids and family who STOPS doing what they're doing to help their loved ones...

(or stops what I'm still doing - @12:52am - I'm off to bed btw)

You're all f***ing rocks - keep it up! Well done

Sorry, wish I had your will power.

Post by a was taken so, call me ag » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:59 pm

during the first hour of the shakey hands I confine myself to my desk and put my head down, that's my only anxiety

Post by a was taken so, call me ag » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:04 pm

By 'head down' I mean with headphones on and listen to loud music to keep me focussed.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”