Benadryl

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
deedee00

Post by deedee00 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:17 am

Hi everyone.

I took Benadryl yeasterday afternoon for allergies. By bedtime I was yawning, jittery, more lightheaded, etc....But I could not sleep ALL night. Now I'm sitting here feeling miserable.

The really bad thing is that I was feeling really good before I took it.

Does this happen to anyone else? Some people say benadryl relaxes them. I was not relaxed and couldn't sleep ALL night.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:38 am

Hello DeeDee!
I think that medications affect people differently.
I take the equivilent of benadryl every night. (Walmart's equate allergy medication).
I take it not only for minor allergies but because it aids my sleep.
I have to take one at night because it would put me to sleep no matter when I'd take it.

I take it primarily for sleep.

But to show how medicines work differently for dif. people, if my59 year old doughter were to take darvucet too late in evening for pain (she has severe back problems) she would stay awake all night and would have RLS.

You just can't set a fixed pattern for how medications work. And that is true of all the allergy medications, I think.

Best of luck.
MJ

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:06 am

Thanks Cornflower!

I love your screen name. It reminds me of the country, and I've always wanted to visit the contry.

I will never take that again. That was the third time I had negative effects from Benadryl.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks, DeeDee:
I grew up in the country!
Yes, it was pretty neat!!
Fact is, I will never forget the sounds and sights that I grew up with.

I would elabroate on it but it might get rather boring. LOL
Maybe you can find another allergy med that you can take. I hope so.

Best wishes!
MJ

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”