Remeron Withdrawals....anyone relate?

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:29 am

Hi,
Has anyone experienced long term withdrawals from remeron. I was on it for 5 years and went off a couple months or so ago and still experience stomach acid reflux, etc. I have never had this symptom before and it went away when I went back on and tapered off slowly again. I am wondering how long this will last. I have had it for a good 2 months and no medication seems to help it very much. I wake up in the morning with it and go to bed with it....help!

Anyone out there experience the same thing?

Thanks,
Amy :?

Silvana1

Post by Silvana1 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:07 am

Hi Amy-

I was on Remeron for 6 months and when I went off it (Feb. '02) there where withdrawals. I had the usually sypmtoms at first; insomnia, weird tinling head feeling, vertigo, depression which all lasted about a month and then after a couple of weeks I had nausea that lasted a month. No vomiting just the nausea and I really couldn't eat. I actually went to the doctor and they wanted blood test which showed nothing and to put me on another anti-depressant(I said NO!) and actually my fiance took me to the hospital one Saturday morning b/c I was still feeling the nausea and they found nothing too? They did blood test, preganancy test and ended up giving me an I.V. with some medication in it which helped a little that day so that I could eat. I really believe that what you are experiencing will pass; that the worst of it is over. Just be patient and don't overreact. You were on this medication for 5 years and your body needs to adjust. Strange though that no doctor would confirm with me that this is what was going on. Not even the prescribing doctor-though she did say it could be a delayed withdrawal symptom. See I had gained like 20 pounds from the Remeron and only during the "nausea month" did I lose 15 of the 20 pounds. Strange huh? Have you tried Prevacid or Nexium? My boss takes prevacid for his acid reflux and it really helps him. I hope you feel 100% soon!

Take care-Silvana
Indurence begins when everyone else has given up and you are in competition with yourself.

Fear can, though it is not God, create something from nothing

Casar de Aguilar

drop2

Post by drop2 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:26 am

My friend went through an unpleasant period of Remeron withdrawal, nightmares and yes, nausea. She hang on and it wore off in a couple of months.

The most important thing is that it will pass. It will get better. Expect some anxiety during withdrawal. It is not you who fall back to the old habit. Your body just needs time to function without the med. You will get better, Amy.

drop
[b]Worry does not remove the sorrow of tomorrow. It removes the strength of today. [/b]

TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:28 pm

Thanks for your responses. I just feel at times that it will be never ending and that maybe I went off too soon, but I was getting side effects again after going on it a second time, so I did what I thought best. I am just trying to stay away from meds and it's hard to deal with the symptoms daily. I will try yet a 3rd med for my stomach and hopefully it's short term. I am just a worry wort that I did something that will harm my body long term.
Thanks again for the insight. I really appreciate it and the caring people like you on this site :)
Originally posted by Silvana1:
[qb]Hi Amy-

I was on Remeron for 6 months and when I went off it (Feb. '02) there where withdrawals. I had the usually sypmtoms at first; insomnia, weird tinling head feeling, vertigo, depression which all lasted about a month and then after a couple of weeks I had nausea that lasted a month. No vomiting just the nausea and I really couldn't eat. I actually went to the doctor and they wanted blood test which showed nothing and to put me on another anti-depressant(I said NO!) and actually my fiance took me to the hospital one Saturday morning b/c I was still feeling the nausea and they found nothing too? They did blood test, preganancy test and ended up giving me an I.V. with some medication in it which helped a little that day so that I could eat. I really believe that what you are experiencing will pass; that the worst of it is over. Just be patient and don't overreact. You were on this medication for 5 years and your body needs to adjust. Strange though that no doctor would confirm with me that this is what was going on. Not even the prescribing doctor-though she did say it could be a delayed withdrawal symptom. See I had gained like 20 pounds from the Remeron and only during the "nausea month" did I lose 15 of the 20 pounds. Strange huh? Have you tried Prevacid or Nexium? My boss takes prevacid for his acid reflux and it really helps him. I hope you feel 100% soon!

Take care-Silvana[/qb]

Steve DK

Post by Steve DK » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi Amy,
I stopped last Thursday (Aug 13) and can report feeling clear headed again (no drug hangover) but my sleep is affected a bit and worst is the NAUSEA and that I lost 6.5lbs over the weekend. The weight loss stresses me and does not help my nausea. I am going to try and hang in there for a couple of months to see if it ends without asking for something to else to take.

p.s. if your going off an anti-dep. add Vitamin D supplements (5000-15000 IU depending on your sun exposure, Omega 3 (3000mg) and a b-complex, they all help fight the biochem battle!

Good luck with your fight to get off Remeron.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”