Lexapro Questions, (newbie)?

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Ms. Anxiety

Post by Ms. Anxiety » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:30 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone felt jumpy while being on the Lexapro? I get sedated, yet, I feel like I'm on speed!

Thanks! :)

happynow

Post by happynow » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:49 pm

No, I've never felt this and have been on it for almost two years. I've also tried others meds that were just awful yet wonderful for others including my sister so just remember, we will all react differently. You gotta go to your doctor with this stuff.

good luck (and remember, the first month or so you're body is adjusting so that is not how it will always be but still check it out)

clickyourheels

Post by clickyourheels » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:52 pm

Do the dilated pupils go away? I took 1/2 of a 10mg Lexapro today. I feel pretty good actually, but my pupils are dilated.

Tony713

Post by Tony713 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:54 am

my doctor also prescribed with 10mg to start off with...well I took it for 2 dats and I felt terrible!!I ended up i the hospital where that doctor told me to start taking klonopin to counter balance the lexapro and also told me that 10 mg might have been too strong for me. so I started taking half of a half of the pill and still feel jittery and weak...is this normal?

Silviab

Post by Silviab » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:22 am

Yes, I had the same reaction. I took 10 mg of
Lexapro and I started shaking, my heart was racing and I didn't know if I should go to the ER or not. I took an Ativan and put a cold cloth on my forehead. It was awful.
Celexa has also made me shake, but not like the Lexapro did.
Silvia

Don 56

Post by Don 56 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:19 am

I've been on Lexapro for 3 1/2 months. When I first started taking it (10mg/day) my stomach felt horrible. I had all sorts of stomach pains. But I was already having stomach problems before that so that may have been part of the problem.
I also had night sweats. Later it was mostly my palms and bottoms of my feet - how strange and creepy! I felt like the creature from the lagoon. :) LOL
The other side effect from lex was a strange heavy feeling in the back of my head. It was like the two halves of my brain were not functioning properly and had lead weights in the back.
It took me almost 2 weeks for the side effects to calm down. Then after three weeks the medication finally started to take effect. It did help me get past my initial severe case of GAD.

Now I am trying to wean off it. I'm am holding steady at 5mg/day. With the lower dose I am feeling almost completely normal now. Not so groggy and lethargic as with the higher dose.
But I have some minor anxiety and other feelings. Not bad, more like normal everyday life.
I will continue for another month at half dose as I continue to learn and practice my CBT skills. Then I'll go down to 1/4 dose and see how I do.

PLEASE, anyone reading this, if you haven't started taking Lexapro yet, if you are able to manage, try to work through your anxiety by getting lots of vigorous exercise every day and cutting out all caffeine and sugar first. And also work this course, you should be able to cope without going on the drug. If you just absolutely can’t cope, it's ok to use Lexapro but it’s much better in the long run if you get by without it. That way you can avoid the troublesome withdrawal period. And you will be much further along in your recovery process later on.

Do your research. Google Lexapro and do a bunch of reading BEFORE you go on it so you can make an informed decision about your health care. Do just take your Dr.s word for it. They get paid by the drug manufacturer for subscribing this stuff!
Don 56

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”