Lexapro Questions, (newbie)?

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
thiefonthecross

Post by thiefonthecross » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:00 am

Susan,
Thats what I was thinking, like you said,
that I was okay because of the info. I had aquired through the program. This doctor had also given me xanax to take daily, and I only took it when needed, and pretty much stopped taking it altogether....I was only taking the Lexapro.
However, I was not comfortable with the therapist from that same office, so I went to another therapist. This new therapist is convinced that I am in need of medication. I have been telling her that I do not want meds, but when I saw her yesterday I was extremely anxious because of the withdrawl (I guess) and she called a doctor from her office and got me an appt. for this Sat.
So I really don't know what to do at this point.
I would prefer to stay off of meds, and I am sure that I would feel better about myself not having to be on them, but there is a nagging "what if" about the idea that I may be one of those people who really needs meds.
She was saying that the right medication would quiet the "committee" thats in my head...but I dont think that I should have to have meds to do that.
I should be able to learn to tell the comittee to shut up on my own. :?

thiefonthecross

Post by thiefonthecross » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:04 am

PS....
she has me convinced that the old doctor is some kind of quack for never raising the dose to a theraputic level.
I have an appt. with this old doctor Saturday at 10. The appt. with the new doctor is at 9, and I was going to just go to the new one and not to the old, but I think I will go to the old one instead and really ask him whats going on with the low dose, and see what he has to say.
Thanks.

sunset34

Post by sunset34 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:47 am

Thief,

A good doctor will know whether or not you need medication and whether or not you need the dosage to be increased or not.

My dad suffered chronic depression and was on medication for a couple years. One day while in his doctors office, he noticed how well my father was doing ( in attitude) and then slowly began tapering him off his meds. My dad has only been on meds that one time and still has times when he's extremely negative ( habit ) but he feels he can cope without medication and the more he practices good skills, the better things get with him as the years go by.

Joe, you must do what you feel is right for you.
Remember, medication is a choice you either make or don't make. Either way, you can sustain a chemical balance with skill use.

All doctors are not the same either. Some believe that medications are the way to go and others believe in cognitive-behavioral therapy along with medication or give the patient a choice. You must remember this when seeing your doctor, that he/she will be unique to their own opinions and beliefs.

Be good to yourself !! Keep moving ahead and don't forget to SMILE !! :)
[b][i]" You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

[/i][/b]

thiefonthecross

Post by thiefonthecross » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:51 pm

I spoke to my wife about this situation, and I decided to call the current doctors office to ask him about the side effects, etc.
I was told to go ahead and take 10 mgs today and one tomorrow until I see him on Sat.
I agree that diff. doctors see things differently.
I think the one I am currently seeing prob. feels that giving the lowest dose tolerable is beneficial by allowing us to learn new skills without being totally doped up by the meds.
I think I am going to cancel the appt. with the second doctor for now.
Thanks.

happynow

Post by happynow » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:36 pm

Good for you.....and watch out for those "shoulds"......saw a lot of them in your post. Do what it takes to feel better and what makes YOU feel better about your choices.

thiefonthecross

Post by thiefonthecross » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:14 pm

Thanks Bridgette. :)

thiefonthecross

Post by thiefonthecross » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:15 pm

Boy did I get your name wrong!
Sorry!

tennismary

Post by tennismary » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:53 am

Although Lexapro helped me, I also had some bad side-effects. I was sedated yet I had insomnia. I sweated like a pig as another poster said also. I had some other weird side-effects also. My problem is I do whatever the doctor tells me to do. Unforturnately, I have had some terrible doctors who gave me a ton of medication and when I complained they just said I was being psychosomatic. So I just stayed on the medication and suffered. Now I am finding out that I wasn't being psychosomatic and that many other people have the same problems. When I got off these drugs I had a horrible withdrawal reaction that lasted days. I had horrible flu like symptoms and bizarre tingling and zapping feelings. The doctor just accused me of making it up. But then when the NY attorney general sued Paxil and other drug manufacturers, they disclosed that many people have these problems. I don't want to scare you into not taking drugs because you might not have hardly any side-effect but if you are like me then be careful and listen to your own body. Don't be a doormat, like me, when you are interacting with doctors. My assertiveness skills with doctors are pathetic.

lilshygyrl21

Post by lilshygyrl21 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:43 pm

my dr prescribed me Lexapro, i tried it for the first time last night.i know everyone reacts different, but me, oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh..i had a panic attack that woke me up from sleep, i could hardly sleep,it felt like my blood was running cold through my veins, i thought i was gonna throw up and i got diaherria. i dont want to scare anyone who hasnt tried it,but remember everyones body reacts differently to certain drugs. i just know im never taking it again. i'd rather go back to Paxil

Ms. Anxiety

Post by Ms. Anxiety » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:30 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone felt jumpy while being on the Lexapro? I get sedated, yet, I feel like I'm on speed!

Thanks! :)

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”