Lexapro Questions, (newbie)?

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
AmyC

Post by AmyC » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:49 am

Hello,

I asked my doctor about taking a med for some anxiety and Lexapro 10 mg daily was recommended by her. I just picked up my prescription this afternoon, and noticed it says on the bottle: may cause drowsiness.

1)Should I start taking this med in the evenings, instead of the mornings right now while getting adjusted to it? I have heard that it can take up to 4-6 weeks to get the full effect of it and that the drowsiness will eventually subside by a pharmacist.

2)Does being on this med make you gain weight or feel pretty bad? What are the most common symtoms any of you had on this or do get if any at all?

3)Does this med help with Social Anxiety as well as GAD? On the positive side, how good did you feel taking it and noticed happened to your old habits of stress, anxiety, depression, etc?

Thanks so much,
Amy

ChangingTimes07

Post by ChangingTimes07 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:03 pm

I have never taken Lexapro but but I have been on two other SSRI's which are Paxil and Celexa. There are usually some side effects that come along with them...drowsiness is one of them but usually the side effects shouldnt be that bad.

For me...the meds calmed me down enough to start learning new ways of thinking but in my opinion they are not a cure. You should talk to a doctor more in depth if u feel the need. Hope I helped
"I can make it through the rain, I can stand up once again, on my own, and I know that I'm strong enough to mend"- Through The Rain by Mariah Carey

sweethome220

Post by sweethome220 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:45 pm

Hello Amy,
I have been afraid of drugs my whole life. I have always had the mentality that I don't need a pill to make me happy. I have always thought mind over matter. I am only 27 and swore I would NEVER. This year it got that bad. I was scared >>>>less but I wanted to be better more than anything. I talked extensively with my doctor about all the options and different medications. The one we decided on was Lexapro. I was freaking out. I thought that I was going to act like Anna Nicole Smith while on it and I was going to lose myself. However, after listening to my doctor (who is NOT a pill pusher, she delivered me 27 years ago) I started on 5mg. The next day I swore it took effect, now that might me part psycological but I didnt care, I was on my way to recovery and happiness. I took 5 mg for about 6 weeks and noticed that I was feeling a little more depressed so went to the 10mg which is what I was prescribed but I wanted to stay on 5mg so it would be easier for me to get off. In my head I only needed this drug for a month or two and I was going to be cured. A quick fix. However, the medication gave me the ability to start working the program, working on me, reading and researching, excercising, eating properly and starting to get back to the old me. The happy me. The person I was before this bad dream started. But yet a better me. A me that can deal with stress. As far as side effects, I actually lost my appetite and wasn't hungry for about 2 weeks. Then I started eating normal. Its been about 10 weeks for me and I have not gained a pound, however, I do eat healthy and exercise 3-5 times a week. The problem I do have with the meds is the tiredness. Its not all the time, mostly on days when I dont get to the gym but I have a hard time waking in the morning. I have heard this will go away. I didnt have it much on 5 but on 10 I am very tired alot. Please, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask, even if you think they are stupid questions, I asked the craziest questions while making this decision, but I will guarantee you I would do it exactly the same way all over again. I still plan getting off in 4 mths. I was giving it 6 mths by advice of my dr. Hope this helped.

sweethome220

Post by sweethome220 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:48 pm

I forgot to answer your question about when to take it. I take mine around 6-7pm and always have, my doc recommended that since some of her other patients had complained of the tiredness.

Also, you dont stop feeling. You still feel, you still cry, you still laugh. You are still you. Just without that cloud of doom you tend to carry around, if your depressed like me.

fallingapart

Post by fallingapart » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:02 am

Hi Amy,
I've been on lexapro about a month and half now. I take 5mg because 10 was too stong for me and I was waking up with dilated pupils. I had no side effects at 5 mg at all- whereas the few times I tried 10- I was sweating like a pig! ;) ANYWAY- the med has definitely helped take the edge off. I still get anxious but absolutely not to the degree that I was. I have also had no panic attacks since. :)

I take mine at night before bed and have no trouble. I have fibromyalgia so it's hard for me to say if my fatigue has anything to do with the med. I don't think so though. I have not any weight with Lexapro- unlike a few years ago when I was on Zoloft. I gained 35 lbs in 3 months then! UGH!

So overall- I'm pretty happy with it! :)

sunset34

Post by sunset34 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:28 am

AmyC,

Take your medication as directed by your doctor.
All anti-depressants have side effects. To check what is normal for this prescription, check the insert that came with the prescription from the pharmacy.

If you feel that you cannot handle the side effects or you notice bruising on your body ( bruising easily ) make sure you let your doctor know. If this happens, it could mean that this drug is not for you.

Be open to the idea of feeling strange symptoms so that you will not scare yourself.

Ask your doctor about anything that concerns you!
[b][i]" You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

[/i][/b]

kody119

Post by kody119 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:28 am

i tried Lex, but it made me really, really sick. i know this is not what you want to hear, and many people have great luck with it. my sister-in-law loves it and had no side effects.

bottom line, take it at night - before you go to bed. this will better mask initial side effects. second, if you can't eat, drink, or lose too much water weight, consult your doc.

something to mention to your doc - sometimes just taking the medicine causes in increase in anxiety in people like us. side effects of ssris include sweating, some visual effects, etc. you may want to consider taxing something like xanax for the first week or two until the meds "take on." this can reduce the amount of anxiety just taking the medicine can cause you as well as to dull down some of the side effects. i am starting on paxil and am using this approach.

let me know how it goes - remember, not all ssris work for everyone.

thiefonthecross

Post by thiefonthecross » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:14 pm

About six months ago I started taking 10 mgs of Lexapro.
For whatever reason, the dr. kept me at 10 mgs.
I asked him why he didnt increase the dosage, but he would say that "we were okay at this dosage".
I weigh about 250....I still dont understand.
Anyways, for the past few months, with the dr's approval, I started to drop the dose to 5 mgs a day.
It got to where I would forget to take the pill half the time, so finally I just stopped taking it altogether about ten days ago.
A few days ago, I noticed I started feeling "fuzzy" on the right side of my head, sometimes the fuzziness traveled down the length of the right side of my body.
I was very tired...kind of like flu symptoms.
I was told by my therapist today that the symptoms sound like withdrawl from an SSRI...
I have been doing pretty well lately, however I became very anxious this morning, to the point that the therapist called another dr. for me to see this Saturday.
Has anyone had this kind of experience with withdrawl?

sunset34

Post by sunset34 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:40 pm

Thief,

The doctor didn't have to increase the dosage because you were doing a great job using your skills to keep yourself balanced !! That is also the reason why he tapered you off. What great success !! You should be proud of this ! :D

As for your withdrawal symptoms..... you must remind yourself that what you are feeling is only the withdrawal effect of the meds. Try not to focus too much on your sensations or you will only make yourself anxious and complicate things.

God back to your Claire Weekes books and remind yourself of all those truths about body symptoms.

It's not uncommon to have some buzzing feelings in the brain or in different body parts. People feel all types of sensations due to coming off of anti-depressants. Be good to yourself and don't panic. Now is a GREAT time to use your skills !! ;)

Wishing you the best !
[b][i]" You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

[/i][/b]

happynow

Post by happynow » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:16 pm

I've been on 20mg for about 1 1/2 years and doing wonderfully on it but never never ask anyone these questions expect for your doctor. They have to adjust or change what you take depending on the feedback you give them. They need to know these things for sure. Good luck.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”