From Effexor to Prozac

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
feelingbetter01

From Effexor to Prozac

Post by feelingbetter01 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:33 am

I began my treatment for social phobia with Effexor. I worked my way up to 75 mg daily and took the drug for at least five years. I felt that I would be on the drug for the rest of my life because I was afraid to come off it. While on the drug, I was more sociable but I was only more tolerant of social settings, not completely comfortable. During the last two years of taking Effexor, I was experiencing manic episodes and having trouble sleeping. In all, the experience was an emotional roller coaster.

Just before beginning this Program, I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed Prozac. I was afraid to take it. I filled the prescription but flushed the pills down the toilet. I have anxiety over this because I feel like I failed myself in some way. I am glad though that I gave this program a shot without being on meds because it's shown me what I'm truly thinking, not oppressed by a drug. I'm also now more comfortable with going to my GP and talking to him about maybe beginning a Prozac regiment if I can't subdue my obsessive thinking through the Program. It's nice to have options.

Through all of this has been the alcohol. I feared I was an alcoholic because I drank to medicate myself. And I realize this is truly alcohol abuse. I drank when the Effexor didn't feel like it was doing its job. I had episodes where I lost control and yelled at friends or cried uncontrollably through the night. In retrospect, although I feel immense guilt for these moments in my past, I thought it was just my anxiety. I was in denial about the alcohol. I've cut back on my alcohol consumption since starting the Program. It's holding me back from recovery. It's hard and I've had some mishaps, but I also know this is a tough habit to break.

coachchris

Re: From Effexor to Prozac

Post by coachchris » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:26 am

Thank you for your honest post and all of your courageous work. You are not alone in your struggles with the alcohol. I help lead a Celebrate Recovery group which is a Christian 12 step program for anyone with a hurt, habit or hangup. They are nationwide if you would like to see if there is a group in your area. www.celebraterecovery.com

Have your found lesson 11 helpful? What boundaries do you have with the alcohol right now?

We are here to help:)

Coach Chris StressCenter.com

feelingbetter01

Re: From Effexor to Prozac

Post by feelingbetter01 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:34 am

Session 11 has been helpful because it's shown me how to face a decision about medication head on. I was either afraid to start meds or afraid to come off them. It's the not knowing that I'm afraid of because it allows me to "what if". I'm no longer afraid to to start meds even after this Program if I feel I need them. I know what they are and how to talk to my doctor about them. I'm still anxious about just talking to my doctor, but I'm also still practicing my skills. I'm hopeful, at least.

Although I've managed to stop drinking in order to feel the benefits, i.e. my body has more energy, I'm not in such a bad mood and irritable, I'm more productive, I'm still struggling with drinking in social situations. I'm not drinking as much as before, since I'm enjoying not being hungover, but I feel I need to be "on" in these settings and I need the alcohol to do it. I have tried not drinking at all at some recent events and while I felt bad for not being so talkative, I was able to survive it. I feel shame for being introverted, but I am able to see this as a should and I can practice countering it.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”