It's okay!

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Dawnsky

It's okay!

Post by Dawnsky » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:04 am

One of the things I realized a little earlier in the program was that, for me, expecting to get off my antidepressant and ADD meds was not a realistic expectation. Only you and a (real) doctor can determine if this is true for you, but with my traumatic brain injury, it's not realistic to expect that.

So that's the first thing. Here's the second: needing the medical help is NOT a moral failing! Is a diabetic an addict because without insulin he passes out & goes into a coma? No, he's a diabetic. Needing insulin to live is part of the package. Just as, since I was repeatedly bonked on the head throughout my childhood, then had a slip-and-fall as an adult, having wonky brain function is part of that package. (I know, such a deal, right?)

I understand Lucinda's feeling that certain meds should not be long-term, and I agree. I think the difference is whether you expect the little happy pills to fix everything--they don't. They just enable you to function well enough to work on your issues. Sometimes that's temporary, and sometimes that's permanent. It depends on your situation. So I guess I'm saying is, don't wig out and assume you're an addict because you need the medication, and therefore there's something WRONG with you (which is what I did at first). Like I said, it's not a moral failing.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Almost done. Just wanted to add that just as important as taking them--or not taking them--properly and under supervision, is doing a lot of this: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a great one, gang!

Pauly J

Re: It's okay!

Post by Pauly J » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:49 am

That was a very nice post! I don't even sense a tad bit of any brain injury by the way you so eloquently expressed your views in this posting! I also agree, laughter is the best medicine! :lol:

pauly j

perspectivegirl

Post by perspectivegirl » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:25 am

This is an old post but it really made me see the light side of things.. I've been having a lot of negative thoughts about the medications I've been trying. Thank you so much. :]

keepsmilin

Post by keepsmilin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Great posts! :)

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”