The Challenge...Lesson 11

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:04 am

To start us off...here is a funny video about drugs The drug song

Alright lesson 11. This one we likely won't spend too long on as it is pretty short and there isn't much to it. Anybody who has issues with medication or alcohol, now would be the best time to discuss that and share stories.

Personally I don't crave alcohol and didn't use it as an answer to my problems for the most part. The odd time I would use it to become more social at parties and such but not on an on-going basis. However, at my last job there was a period of a week where I actually craved alcohol and had some every day in order to cope with the stresses of that job. It was not the right job for me and made me miserable but it gave me full time employment and money to live off of. If I didn't understand the effects of alcohol before hand I may have become an alcoholic so the information in here is still important to know even if its not an issue you have right now.

Another thing I'd suggest is if you have specific thoughts or situations your dealing with and would like feedback or support, feel free to post it and how you have attempted to approach it and some of the skills you tried to use or even if you felt resistance to using those skills. I think this would be a great way to work through the issues that keep us stuck. Its great to have that outside perception, it can help us a great deal.

Also I've made a few affirmation scripts into audio format and have put 1 so far onto a website that stores mp3s. If you are intrested please PM me and i'll give you the details. The one i have now is about guilt and I will post how I changed guilt around for myself so maybe people struggling with the same issue can benefit in some way.

Anyways keep up the good work and if you feel that you are losing motivation again...go through that list of questions i posted in lesson 10. They are the questions I posted on the 1st of this year.

Mike
Last edited by NinjaFrodo on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

THH

Post by THH » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi Everyone!
I too never had a problem with drugs or alcohol. I guess I am all about control. I really never liked meds. and not really ever lie the taste of alcohol. That helped me not depend on them.
There were many good tips in this lesson for me though, and I will post the card for those who may not have theirs. Side 2 were all very good ones for me.
Here goes:Week 11
Have you considered:
* Depression can be a defense against hurt.
* What needs healing?
* Assess your level of depression.
* Speak with your doctor. Your pharmacist can answer medication questions.
* I am determined to become flexiable and open minded, to live, to love & respect myself.

Side 2

Depression rarely occurs without provocation.
What is the loss? What is the fear?
FIRST AID:
1. ADMIT -the feelings of depression
2.DON'T OVER DRAMATIZE.
3. WHAT IS BOTHERING YOU? What is the lesson?
4. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Reach out for support.
5. LOOK for the good in your life.
6. SURROUND SELF WITH POSITIVE PEOPLE.
7. GET INVOLVED in something you enjoy.

If suicidal thoughts comfort you, call your doctor immediately.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:05 am

I, as well, have always wanted to be in control and never had a problem with drugs nor alcohol. I was taught against alcohol, but one time tasted it at a friend's house when I was 9 or 10, can't recall. Her mother let me take a taste of her beer and told me not to tell my parents. I tasted it, ick! I could never understand why people drank. I didn't really know the real reason at the time.

My father was pretty adamant about not even taking an aspirin for a headache. That was the type of man he was. Quite disciplined and healthy and expected others to be as well. So he had a hard time understanding people that aren't disciplined or have weaknesses w/ drugs or alcohol.

Thanks for putting up the cards, THH! :)

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:52 pm

The Farting Contest!!! Best song ever!

This has been a very intresting couple of days. I've been consciously focusing on encouraging myself during activities mostly with the thought "All I need is Within me now" and understanding how that is true and keeping in mind what telling myself the opposite does to me and it has really made a huge impact on my activities. I have got alot more accomplished, my self-confidence has increased and overall I feel good even on bad days, its pretty awesome.

That being said I had an incident happen which was a huge practice opportunity. I recently bought some non-breaded chicken nuggets and chicken breast that are precooked and came in a box. I bought several boxes and just realized that the fridge gave out. The landlord is not around and won't be until at least monday. I had like 5 boxes plus several packages of non-cooked chicken. I didn't know how long the fridge wasn't working and got concerned and had alot of meat that had been sitting in there and I am very very short on money. I took advantage of the cold weather and put a storage container outside and put the boxed chicken and other frozen stuff in there (cept the packaged meat) and then threw snow in there to keep it cold.

I know that it is not good to refreeze meat that has thawed (ya it had been thawed for I don't even know how many hours) So I decided to cook all the meat! That was alot of meat and my friend had said I could store stuff in his fridge but he was going out to a club that night and so I didn't have much time. I was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off while cooking chicken and I was having a panic attack. Why was I having a panic attack, because I made the situation alot bigger then it actually was and I was focusing on everything I needed to do and disempowering myself and saying I can't do it in time. My expectations of cooking all that meat in such a short time was rediculous and impossible, my idea of not being able to get through the rest of the month financially unless I cooked all the meat was irrational and trying to deal with everything all at once was irrational. So basically my expectations and my disempowering thoughts caused my panic attack. Were my disempowering thoughts irrational? I think to an extent they were irrational or at least some of them but mostly I think they were rational because I couldn't cook all that meat within a 2 hour period, it was just too much meat.

So neways I realized it was a panic attack and after cooking a few dishes I stopped and allowed myself to rest and boy was I ever tired. There was pain from the panic attack and what i've learned is without the information from the program I've associated the pain to the activity I was doing when I got the panic attack but now I can see it is the thoughts and I can actually link pain to the disempowering thoughts and rediculous expectations and that will actually work towards stopping that habit as opposed to linking pain to the activity and stopping the activity. It was a great learning experience and it has created some motivation to face another panic attack situation and see how that goes.

Also I remembered while doing shiatsu on thursday something else intresting. Whenever I do shiatsu after a little while during the treatment my chest feels very warm and my hands get really warm too and it actually bothered me but I couldn't understand it. I've realized that this happened as soon as doubt entered my mind or disempowering thoughts. So when this happened on thursday, I saw it and I thought "all I need is within me now", that heat sensation lessened and so did the heat in the hands. It was pretty cool seeing that dissipate.

Today I figured I'd try using that thought to clean my room which has been sitting a mess for awhile. I have cleaned for at least 5 hours straight and felt good about it but I think I pushed myself too hard again and didn't allow a break. But I had this intresting idea. I have taken my Values list (The list of emotions I want to experience the most) and asked myself how can I organize my room in a way that can create these emotions.

Ie...

(will continue in a sec)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:37 pm

Mike--I love your story and I'm going to reread it! I also like or think about exactly what you said about your bedroom and your Values List and how you want to organize your room that will create those emotions. :) First of all, I think I need to write down what I want to feel while in my bedroom. One big one, is peace and serenity. :)
2nd would be cheer. :) Paislee

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:01 am

paislee,
I saw where you said something about having a dog put to sleep. My dog has had breathing problems for 2 yrs the vet thought she had lung cancer she had such trouble breathing. with her taking an antibotic and predsone and a tablet for her breathing she recovered but always had trouble breathing but not severly. now as the first of jan she has gotten worse. took her to the vet yesterday and she said she was getting worse there was nothing they could do no more medicine and she should be put down. I wasn't ready for this so I didn't do as she sugested this morning she is breating real hard laboring in fact this dog is about 12 yrs old she came her as a stray after my daughter got marrined and I love her so much. I heard about another vet hospital but it is several miles away and I can't make the trip. I don't want to give up but don't know what to do. what was wrong with your dog and how did you get through it. this has increased my anxiety also seems like stress does that.

THH

Post by THH » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:51 pm

Forever young,
So sorry to hear about your dog. :( I too am a pet lover and have 2 labs now. We lost our last 2, 1 at 14 and the other 11. It is very hard thing to do to have them put to sleep. With that being said sometimes it is the kindest thing to do. How long have you gone to your vet and what kind of relationship do you have with him/ her? I have a great relationship with our vets that we use for our small animals & a different one for large animals. They are your best friends esp. if we have trust and faith in them. I needed to be at a practice that believed like myself.( quality of life not just years) Kinda where science and sole blend. That was not always the case with a different vet I had with one of the dogs now gone.

If you are at that kind of practice talk to them and you worries. I will look for a paper that talks about when, and post the link. I found it helpful.

If you are not at a place you like vet wise, maybe you could talk to another vet at a different place and voice your concerns. Most vets are very helpful. Even a phone call sometimes helps.
It is the part of having animals that is the most painful. We are here for you.
Here is a link : http://westervillepets.com/ima...ion-to-euthanize.pdf
Hope it helps. ;)

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Whoops I totally forgot to finish that post.

Ok so with my room. How to put together my room in a way that would increase the emotional states that I want.

Health- Alot of my stuff would be geared towards health being books, workout magazines, cookbooks and such and some of it would be on display instead of just hidden away. Actually its kind of funny because I found this air freshener with the japanese character for health actually before I got the program and i picked it up off the ground just because I thought it was cool and have kept it since and it is now going to come in handy.

Intelligence- Books and Magazines that I can use to increase my knowledge on diffrent things as well as having a clean room which will help me feel good about myself and that in turn will help me to be more clear minded and better able to remember things and to think clearer

Love- Pics of smiling people on my walls and some awesome scented candles.

Outrageous- Pictures of outrageous people

Honesty- Only have things in my room that I want and that I believe in and are true to who I want to be as a person.

Courageous/Confident- List of quotes on a callender that are motivating.

Cheerful/Happy & Fun- Put list of goals I want to achieve on a callender, and maybe some stuffed animals

Greatful- Picture of the world and diffrent kinds of people with many diffrent objects

Passion- Pictures of determined and passionate people or a book with pictures of these people and a little bit of written stuff.

Determination- Pics of people doing and achieving the goals I want as well as pics of Naruto and Xena warrior princess

Creativity- Beautiful scenery on the walls

Success- Page/Book that I fill in of accomplishments or things I either felt I couldn't do or felt were really hard to get done

Adventure- Cut-outs or written statements of things I want to do.

MIke

THH

Post by THH » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Mike,
Where do you get this stuff!!!! That fart song was a hoot! :D

Hey that was a great practice session with you ref. going out! I liked how you realized you were making it out to be huge, and making time so small!!!
Also you mentioned money was short and that made it real personal.
There goes the thoughts again. I find it fascinating it worked with your Shaitsu as well! :eek:
I'm sure you feel pretty good now!
Good for you!!!!
Way to go.... :)

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:02 am

THH thanks for your reply. The one vet suggested putting the dog down, but I took her to another one yesterday and they made me feel alittle more incouraged. he said she wasn't takeing the maxium dosage of the medicine but now getting her home giving her more medicine she is really not getting better she also seems in distress she moves around alot and doesn't lay down. I am afraid she is suffering. My anxiety is increasing as I hate to put her down but am feeling like I should. they never did an exray of her lungs as she was breathing so hard it would be hard on her. I will go to the link I lost 2 cats 4 yrs ago and it was very pain ful.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”