The Challenge...Lesson 11

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:24 am

Hi forever young 06--I was gone all day yesterday and then when I returned from my visit the gal called me and talked to me until 2:00AM and I still had to insist mid conversation that I had to go to bed, I was falling asleep. Anyway, it was a person that had lost someone to suicide and really needed someone to talk too.

So sorry about your dog. My dog was 9 years old and accidently got injured. I was very distraught and worried about him. I loved him so much, he was my little buddy. Anyway, he became septic, he had an infection that surrounded his whole neck and closed up his mouth Tight! :eek: I couldn't get even a dropper full of pain killer and fever reducer down his throat, his jaw was clenched closed and no space between he tongue and upper roof of his mouth.

The first Vet ER gave him anti biotics and fluid as well as pain killers and told me to follow up w/ my regular vet. I had to find a new Vet and the one I found was so wonderful. :)

Anyway, he lanced his pus infected neckline and put drains in his neck. Then kept him for observation. He was able to go for a little walk outside of the Vet office, but wouldn't even eat what I brought from home. The Vet really had hopes for him, but I understood that his kidneys weren't doing so well and finally as a valiant effort of 3 days and nights in the Vet Hospital, his kidneys were shutting down from the infection that was septic.

I had already talked to the Vet about putting him to sleep...but we waited another day. He was such a sweetheart when I came with family members to say "Good-bye". He reached out his paw as he usually does for us to shake it and then we would rub his "rough" or "ruff".

Since he was already had an IV in him, they just injected the medicine to put him to sleep. It was very hard and I wept and hugged him, but I knew it was for the best and pain free. As he would have passed on anyway, but with suffering. I'm tearing up just retelling this, but it is cathartic of course.

We'll be here for you, as you make your decision. My brother told me that my dog had fulfilled his purpose on earth, which was to be a companion for me. Take care...Paislee

THH

Post by THH » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Forever,
Did the vet suggest you wait a few days to see if your dog responds to the new dose of meds? Sometimes it takes a few days to improve. Also did you check out the link I posted about when is the time?
With that being said, sometimes we loose them, and you also have been though that too. You know best.
I hope things have improved! :)

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:46 pm

THH
I checked the link but for some reason I could not open the file. I even saved it and tried I wish I could have read it. Yes the vet suggested we try the medicine and yesterday she seemed a little better paid more attention to you. but last night see still was having hard time breathing. so strange that she is having so much trouble. I decided to give her a few days and as long as she is not suffering I will not put her down. I just wish she would die on her own and not make me make that decision for her.thank you for your response it is so good to talk with someone who understands. I am doing better myself and haven't cried in the last day. I hate that this does increase my anxiety,

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:03 am

thanks for your reply pasliee, you know it is so great that you can help other people with their grief be it animal or human my heart goes out to you for you losing your son and beloved pet. A coworker lost her brother age 17 to one of those chokeing things where they try to get a high with cutting off their oxygen or at least that is what they think. they have been through so much with this and I can only imagine. It is one of my worst fears as I only have the one child and my anxiety started even before she was born so after her birth I got worse. every time she got sick I worried my self sick but she is 32 with a little toddler of her own. they are suck a blessing to me.

we don't know for sure what is going on with my dog. She started with a cough over 2 yrs ago we treated with antobics then her breathing got bad she also threw up a lot of flewm. I took her to the vet then and she said she could have lung cancer she treated her with antibotic predsone and a breathing pill she got better and has lived this long. she has had breathing diffcultly all this time but not severe she only took predsone once in a while when she would feel bad. but for the last 3 wks her breating has been laboured her sides are really heaving some times she seems to be gasping otheres not so much. I am going to do a wait and see if she really gets bad won't eat she is eating a little I cooked her some pork last night just trying to make her comfortable and love her all I can.You see she came here as a stray I live on a busy highway and never got a dog as I don't want to keep them tyed up. mY daughter had gotten married in may and she came in june I said she came to help me thru this change she loves me so much she has been such a gaurd dog she stays out side but goes in the basement at night or in and out during the day.Like your dog I think she has served her purpose but I hang on to things even when I don't need to. She was so afraid of storms and I thought she won't have to go thru the fear of those any more. I am taking it one day at a time. Thanks for your reply I feel for what you have went thru in your life these things can make you or break you but you have survived and hopefully am stronger hope you have a good day we have snow and gotta get ready to hit the road for work

forever young 06

Re: The Challenge...Lesson 11

Post by forever young 06 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:23 am

THH, paislee, my dog died last night. so sad seeing her have so much trouble breathing. I have become more anxious as I can;'t accept that she is gone but what else can I do/ anxiety stinks and this is such a bad time of year we have snow and it is bitter cold will have a hard time burying her/

THH

Post by THH » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Forever Young,
I'm so sorry...
Have you thought about having her cremated? Most vet offices offer this service. Not sure how you feel about it, but you could keep her ashes and bury them in the spring. I don't think it is real expensive.
I hope that soon you will feel a wee bit of relief. It is hard when we know they are going, the anticipation is very hard. I miss all my critters I have lost. Pieces of my heart dies with them. Then I get a puppy and my heart grows again. I hope one day you too find it in your heart to get another critter. So many need love and good homes.
Hang in there, if you need to talk I'm free.
Take care,

Boy I am confused with this new site. Hope I figure it out soon! LOL... I can make a post! :D

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:46 pm

thanks THH my husband buried my dog this morning on our farm. It was very hard for him to dig the hole she was a middled sized dog she weighed 50 lbs at this time I can't find it in me to get another pet I live on a very busy highway and wouldn't wont to keep one tied up and don;t want one in the house/ I have my grandbaby and will focus on that and hope for spring/ do you keep your dogs in the house ? do you live in the country I get you mixed up with others I think It was linda that lived in a rural area maybe you were up state ohio

this site stinks I couldn;t believe it when I got on here this moring and my anxiety was out the roof with the dog dying this sure didn't help we are creatures of habit' for some reason they can never leave this alone all ways changing I do like it at the bottom it tells who is on the site it used to do that and if you know someone is on here you can almost chat with them with out going to chat

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:03 pm

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/video ... ams,18826/ This is the funny video this time around.

This next video is very great! My hip-hop instructor actually sent me this, its pretty profound and talks alot about vulnerability. This lady talks about the diffrence between people who feel they are worthy of love and connection and people who don't. I highly recommend it to everybody, its got alot of great stuff in there! http://www.youtube.com/user/tedtalksdir ... CvmsMzlF7o

We will start lesson 12 on Monday!

ForeverYoung I'm sorry about your dog, we can create such strong attachments with our pets. They aren't judgemental and are always there whenever we are feeling down. I was sad when my dogs passed away too so I know how you're feeling.

THH I just find this stuff online. Its pretty good. Did you watch the video that I had as the first post in this thread? The drug song?

Thank you, it was a good realization and I'm still going up and down but more up and less down.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright so the last couple of days were pretty intresting. I had actually met someone online who was so very nice and kind to me. He said alot of wonderful things and was soooo sweet and we really hit it off it seemed. We both however got way too excited before we even met each other. I was feeling such strong feelings towards this person and about myself too, its what I wanted to consider love but I don't know. The idea of being in a relationship was actually appealing to me and it made me very happy and I was all smiley and was thinking about the guy alot. We talked on msn and text messaged each other on our phones but yestaurday we got into a big fight and it ended. It just didn't workout and I guess some of the things I was doing just didn't work for him and some of the things he was doing didn't work for me either. In the end it was a great learning experience as I've never experienced such strong feelings like that before and I know that I am the one who really created that but this person triggered it. I can now imagine a relationship in the future to be like that and it makes me feel really awesome and makes me even more hopeful. The situation has also made me think about communication again as I did not handle the argument very well and so i'm more motivated for that and it also helped me to get back into the self-help to the degree I was at before as I was slacking. I am using this to motivate myself to become the person I want to be in order to be ready for a relationship and for connection. I honestly feel really good right now!

Also I had a conversation with my hip-hop teacher that I wanted to share. This guy is really amazing, he is not egotistical at all, he doesn't judge and is very fearless. He is really not afraid to do anything! He is also very outrageous and silly too in class. So I said, "You could easily be very egotistical, you have alot going for you but you're not, how can you not be egotistical?" and he told me, "Its alot easier not to be. You'd have to put people into categories and its just too stressful." Its really intresting and I have thought alot about it, I'm really starting to see his point too!

Thinking your the best or have to be the best is an egotistical thing and it is also about expectations. If we aren't our best then how do we feel? Does it make us feel more connected and experience love more when thinking like this?

What about judging? If you think about it, when you judge someone does that make you feel good or bad? Does it bring you up or does it bring you down? Does it make you experience love more deeply or does it take away from that experience and make you feel hate?

Being right. How does striving to be right do to relationships? During arguements? Does not accepting what the other person is saying and being very stubborn about your own opinion going to help or hinder the relationship?

Definately some more things to think about!

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:12 pm

Forever young,
That is nice your husband was able to take care of this, winter is the pits!
I do live in the country, and on a main road. It scares me and I have 2 dogs. We used the E collars on them as puppies to keep them away from the road. It saved their lives!
Well take your time, and I like that you have a grandchild to help you stay busy. Time heals all wounds.
Oh I know I bet the site will be hearing about this for awhile! Yikes!!!

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 am

THH,
Thanks for your reply.I am doing good haven't cried a lot I am glad to not have to see her suffer any more. I know she had to some as she struggled so to breathe and couldn't lay down sit up all the time. I miss her being a guard dog.

This site is terribel I know they are trying to fix it but the spamming and uly advertisement are terrible. Change is terrible we will just have to be patient and see what happens.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”