Life satisfaction? 11 has some answers

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
pecos

Post by pecos » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:36 am

I don't drink alcohol and don't take any kind of medication. I wondered what I'd get out of this session. One of the OBJECTIVES for Session 11 is to be able to understand your level of dissatisfaction with life.
That's a pretty huge objective, and I kept thinking the answer was on the 11th CD or the Coaching DVD.
No. The answer is in your journals.
Remember the homework to journal your feelings at least 10 minutes every day? If you've been doing this, there will be a pattern of feelings and behaviors (and even people) who either send you up or bring you down. If you self medicate (with alcohol or other substances, you will be able to see the who, what, when, where, why, right before you felt a need to self medicate). If you get headaches, same pattern. If you want to stay inside all day, same pattern. If you are angry at work, same pattern. If you fight with someone, same pattern. Does this make sense to others on Session 11? There is a very well documented pattern to specific places, people, things, that are NOT SATISFYING. It's all right there in the journals. I can see it, I can even diagram it, like a chart. It's not a BLAME thing. It's a MIRROR. If you are on this session, and you wondered how you'd accomplish that objective, you might try this. It really is easy to do. And talk about SECONDARY GAINS, Payoffs, Payments, things we do to twist our lives until they cannot possible satisfy us, well, I'm seeing patterns here. I hope my fellow Session 11 members, and especially the Program Veterans here, will add to this. Thanks.
Last edited by pecos on Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:32 am

Journaling is such a useful and important tool in this program that I can't emphasize it enough. I wrote down everything from how I felt, what I ate, who I talked to that day, what I did, where I went, etc. I saw patterns and themes almost right away. I hadn't thought about the fact that it was actually showing me my level of dissatisfaction with my life, but it does. After completing the rest of the sessions I really saw how important all the journaling had been.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:41 am

Thanks so much Mary! I began to think I was out so far in the ozone with my complete failure to understand :D) the Session 11 homework that my post here made no sense to anyone.
The journals are our road map. For me the specific homework journaling assignments are showing me my patterns. And patterns of thinking lead to anxiety and depression, and relationship failure, problems with family members, problems at work, life dissatisfaction in general, and so much more negative stuff. Thanks for your encouraging reply! :)
Last edited by pecos on Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:11 pm

Well...I was thinking of "skipping" this lesson, but, you have convinced me not to. Also you have convinced me to log more things in my journal. Thanx!!!

Craw

Post by Craw » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:02 am

Hey Geoff. Welcome! Wow, am I surprised anyone found this old thread. I do want to thank you for taking me seriously. Session 11 homework has some keys to success with this program. (Homework objects illuminate much of our internalized philosophy, which makes it easier to change what isn't working); and if a person doesn't journal, results won't have as much punch. I'm glad you see that!!!!! ;)
Best wishes to you and to your excellent recovery!
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
~John F. Kennedy

Holly J

Post by Holly J » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:43 am

Journaling is key. The other day, I started my journal obsessing about alcohol, and finally got to the point that I hate what I've been making for dinner! LOL...my apartment has no oven or freezer, so I've been eating the same boring meals for over a year. I journaled my way right through all the 'red herrings' and got to the place of maybe there's a cookbook for using the stove top, and I have found some! So, voila! Instead of uslessly ruminating about things that are not constructive, I found an area of dissatisfaction, and also a solution!
"Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)"

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:17 am

Good example of problem solving and getting ourselves to deal with a situation in lieu of dwelling on it!!

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:16 pm

There are some really good tips in the above posts. I like to revieew them. Thought others might like to see these again.
MJ

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”