I am an alcoholic

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
rabiff

Post by rabiff » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:54 pm

Originally posted by Randy Biffany:
Originally posted by tjax2:
I struggle with OCD, social phobia, depression, and anxiety. I learned a long time ago that alcohol would temporarily releave the symptoms. As a result I became an alcoholic. I have not been able to connect with AA because the confrontations and social activity raises the anxiety I feel from my other problems. I feel like I'm bettween a rock and a hard place. Can anyone relate? I'm in week 11 of the program right now and am doing some better. But I don't know if I'll ever be able to connect with AA. Has anyone been through this and succeeded?
Please contact me via this email I have gone through what you're going through for 15 years now. It has ended my career as a copywriter and teacher and after 25 detoxes and 12 programs I am trying this one. This is it for me, I do not have any other hope. Is it working for you? I could use your advice and possible friendship/support before I lose it all.

rabiff

Post by rabiff » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:15 pm

tjax2,

I can so relate. I relied on alcohol since I was 15, despite the fact that my achievements in my curriculum, sports, civic activities, arts and music seemed quite impressive - they were completely impossible without alcohol. My whole life up theough college was contingent upon booze. It only escalated from there throughout my advertisng career until I was destroyed and became homeless and of course lost everything including my beautiful wife, home, car, friends, family and everything. Bottom line? Severe anxiety<A HREF="mailto:rabiffany@sbcgloba.net">rabiffany@sbcgloba.net</A> and depression. Finally, now I think there is an answer after 15 years of treatment. Perhaps with corresponding with others like yourself we can together find a cooperative answer. Please contact me, and vice versa if we can help each other. There are so many outstanding, talented, creative people like ourselves that need to connect.

i can relate

Post by i can relate » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:12 pm

american approach to alcoholism is not really a good thing. AA advocates "all or nothing" and states alcoholism is a disease. first of all, it would scare alcoholics and they would probably say, "i'm not that, i will never be that, so i must be damned". approaches in other countries have statistically found good results, like telling an alcoholic about, first to set a goal like "i will try not to be abusive to my family and friends when i'm drunk" that makes them feel better, just take that step, same logic as this program discusses about anxiety and agorophobia. setting a simple goal like that actually made heavy drinkers to cut down on alcohol significantly. again, like this program discusses, if you scare people and label people with things they tend to shut down on you.

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:36 am

I can relate,
Thats just silly!!! You ever tried to tell an alcoholic when they are drunk or sober, to not be so abusive of thier family?
First of all, when they are drunk, they dont remember when they are sober WHAT they did!!
Alcoholism has been proven to be a disease!
The same with drug addicts, you really think you can tell a drug addict to be "nice" when they arent using? lol
The person admitting they HAVE a problem is the first part of recovery! Ignoring it, or trying to sweet talk someone into NOT using drugs or alcohol has NEVER worked! If it did, we wouldnt have such a problem with alcoholism or drug addicts! Until the Person themselves realizes and says, I HAVE A PROBLEM and NEED HELP, they will continue doing just what they are doing...

deedee00

Post by deedee00 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:31 am

Mello Nello,

I couldn't have said it better !!!!!!!!!!!

Take care. DeeDee.

Brenda Mcknight

Post by Brenda Mcknight » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:16 am

Originally posted by Stu:
I too am an alcoholic and actually tried a few AA meetings but did not like them. I decided to see what else is available and happened upon a book titled "7 Tools to Beat Addiction" by Dr. Stanton Peele. I just finished chapter 2 this evening and really like where Dr. Peele is going so far.

Normally I have about 6 shots, sometimes more, of vodka on the rocks each night and have done so for over 10 years. However, tonight I was so engrossed in the book that I forgot about having them and thought maybe this could be my first day of recovery. That prompted me to pour out what I had on hand to get rid of any temptation.

Well, that thought went south when I decided to see what withdrawals I might experience and discovered that someone that has drank this long may very well experience Delirium tremens (the DT's). That can potentially be fatal in a long-term heavy drinker so, as you might imagine, anxiety set in. I also live alone and wondered if this did happen would I be able to dial 911? More anxiety. When I do try to stop I'll have someone stay with me for a week or so just in case.

I'm sober tonight since it was too late to go to the store by the time I figured all this out.

My question is has anyone with a long drinking history experienced the DT's during withdrawal? I'd even like to know if you did not. If so what was it like? I am sure it is a different experience for different people.

Yes, I also have the the program program but have not gotten the motivation to start it just yet.

Regards.

suzee o

Post by suzee o » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:24 pm

I too am an alcholic!! WOW it's been a while since I've heard myself say that! I have been sober for 5yrs. with one slip-up that only lasted one day a few months back. I went through the DT's pretty bad. I don't suggest you do it alone. I attended AA for a while in the beginning and do believe it helped. I also needed to surround myself with others that had "been there, done that" to coach me through. I would love to chat more about this topic with those fellow vodka lovers. It's another of those things in life that "I" can't do but "WE" can. Support and understanding are very important! (P.S.I can help with this if anyone can help me learn computer skills to do this CHAT THING, I don't even know if anyone even reads my entry's!) Suzee

hi,my name is stephanie

Post by hi,my name is stephanie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:25 pm

HI,MY NAME IS STEPHANIE,IF YOU HAVE DEPRESSION HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD DEPRESSION AND HOW LONG AHVE YOU BEEN USEING ALOCHEL FOR I WILL TELL YOU ONE THING RIGHT NOW I WAS INTO ALCOHEL AND WHEN I WOULD DO THAT I WANTING TO KILL MYSELF IN ANY WAY I COULD THINK ABOUT DOING IT AND NOW I DO NOT THINK ABOUT KILLING MYSELF FOR MORE THEN OEN THING I HAVE A DAUGHTER AND IS SO CUTE AND I HAVE DEPRESSION AND I AM ON MEDS.

STEPHNAIE
yes

giga247

Post by giga247 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:20 am

hi everyone ive been waiting to see if anyone else out there is to anyone else that suffers from this! i started around 23 after my first marriage. Then it became just party seens and then home and now dont know how to live without it! my drs say quit or die, but no matter how hard i try or AAs i go to i seem to go back! i want it out of my life any of you feel that to?

TheOptimisticPessimist

Post by TheOptimisticPessimist » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:48 am

Hi giga247...just ran across this thread and wanted to provide a wonderful support site for those looking to get alcohol out of their lives. The folks are wonderful and full of knowledge. Take care here it is:
http://wqd.netwarriors.org/forum.php
You say: "I can't figure things out" God says: I will direct your steps (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”