I am an alcoholic

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
TheOptimisticPessimist

Post by TheOptimisticPessimist » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:48 am

Hi giga247...just ran across this thread and wanted to provide a wonderful support site for those looking to get alcohol out of their lives. The folks are wonderful and full of knowledge. Take care here it is:
http://wqd.netwarriors.org/forum.php
You say: "I can't figure things out" God says: I will direct your steps (Proverbs 3:5-6)

SoWhatif

Post by SoWhatif » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:12 am

It may seem simple allthough there is a very large difference when we choose to stop because WE or I choose too. I dare say you will never quit for someone else and succed. Think you can do it alone........maybe for awile.
When and if YOU or I CHOoSE to stop the drug be it drink or smoke or whatever you have the backing and suppport of yourself, that means alot, more than can be realized at the time we are in our funk.
It really boils down to remaking your life. Most of us have stiched our lives around it and if one thinks they can do all the same stuff and just not drink then they are playing on a tight rope so to speak and it is just a matter of time before the fall comes.
There are church rehab or focus groups and there are many other ways to get accountablility.sp?
Drink or drug is usually the results of problems and then becomes the multipler of those issues. Until we learn and change the issues, create new positive habits and do constructive things with the new found time available and get some reward for sobriety.
It will not be easy of fun, the best things in life generally are the hardest to achieve.
When you have a good day and then feel sorry for ourselves at the time we lost, DO NOT self loath, do something for another or for youself that moves the step forward. After awile there will be more steps forward then steps back.
One step forward and two steps back is still better than not moving forward. Just know that forward is the path, take a rest, take a detour, dowhat needs to be at the time and stay focased on the path and you will find the way.
If you stumble examine why and learn and respect that trigger that caused it. Next time when the trigger arises you will have a alternative. Use it and advance.

I did not think I had many issues. The drink covered them up. When I stopped drink then is when all the bears come out of the woods.
You have the means and the way, now it takes the action to over come the beasts we all carry.

God bless you all and keep on keeping on.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:10 pm

This is very good, WhatIf!

Kait

Re: I am an alcoholic

Post by Kait » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks Tjax for starting this thread! I too am sober, 3yrs in november and feel like the alcoholism/anxiety are connected.
It brings me great comfort to know i am not alone. I too tried AA for years, and have just never felt at home/ease there...

Megan15110

Post by Megan15110 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:13 pm

YES! i also have Ocd, social phobia, depression, and i have an alcohol issue as well
don't feel as if you're alone because you're not.
I have begun to take it one thing at a time, i Have been able to join AA meetings and to my surprise
there are people who go to the meetings that have the same sort of problems that we have, and its been really helpful for me.
the anxiety was very very hard for me but it started getting easier and the anxiety is not as overwhelming as it was in the beginning, medication has also been beneficial for me to control the obsessive thinking.
I just want you to know that i struggle with the same types of things, as do many other people.
We are very strong! keep your head up and continue pushing through your fears, and just remember you are never alone, even though i know it feels that way.
hope that this helps

brenlew

Post by brenlew » Wed May 16, 2012 12:22 am

Try SmartRecovery.org. Its a non 12 step recovery program that is structured much differently than AA. You can also attend meetings online and chat with many others with the same condition. Also, a plethora of good literature to read.

Also it should be noted that there is a direct link between Alcoholism and Anxiety. Often times we don't know what problem came first, but usually if your an Alcoholic you have or will have anxiety and vise versa. Both problems need to addressed before either one can be cured.

Best wishes friend.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”