Can identify

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Constant Worrier

Post by Constant Worrier » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:01 am

I realize this post is from March - yet it has hit the very core of my being. Started the program early June and currently am on this CD. Very very difficult, simply because I do drink when my anxiety gets high - it seems to be the only way I can calm down. yes, I am using the CD's and cards on a regular basis - however I am beginning to realize this is not only habit, but tremendous escapism. Still am having a hard time with the relaxation CD - something in me does not want to lay there and relax. Actually, I am getting upset with myself now - feel I should be much further along than what I am. Did wonderful up until CD 10 then something in my brain decided I didn't like what was happening!!! If anyone can identify and help me through this stalemate, it would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:12 am

Hi. Well, im new to the program so I dont really know about session 10, yet. But let me see, good job for getting so far!! Keep it up and be patient with yourself. Anxiety is a nightmare that I would not wish upon anyone...im sure you know that! But, I do believe that with perseverance and patience, you can do it! I drink, too when anxiety gets high. However, I find even that wont calm me down anymore! It will get better. We just have to hang in there and keep trying to use the techniques we are learning.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:34 am

Some people drink to calm down but alcohol is actually a stimulant. So when you drink you are making your anxiety increase. When you are doing the relaxation while alcohol is in you it's no wonder that you can't relax and focus. Even if you think there's no alcohol I'm you there could still be. Many people's bodies take longer to rid itself of alcohol. It depends on how fast your digestive system is. From mouth to finish, how long does it take, everyone is different. It also depends on your age and if you're taking medication. Some medicines actually slows your digestive system. It also depend on your sex, women tend to get drunk faster and holds alcohol longer. Your digestion slows with age, so it also depends on age.

Maybe if you could stop using alcohol as a tool then maybe you will be able to relax more.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:24 pm

Hey, I just came off Xanax a month or so ago. The doc said it was a low dosage and would help me through a spell. So I got conditioned to run to it as an answer.
I do drink a glass of wine occasionally with dinner, but I don't have the urge for it. But I'm thinking it might be a little similar to what you go through.
I found that if I told myself to wait even 5 minutes, that it would still be there if I didn't feel better, then I tried to do something else for that time- read, tv, phone call, computer, anything. I usually find that the 5 minutes comes and goes- usually longer before it crosses my mind again. Then I try the 5 minute rule again. Eventually I find that it has passed and I didn't need it after all.
Probably once a week I end up grabbing .25 mg of Xanax. I once carried the .5 mgs in my car as a safety net but found I never touched them. Just felt better to have them there. I got my confidence that I didn't need them and got rid of them. It took a month to get there and there are challenging times, but it's been real progress and I hope it helps you a little.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”