Medications intensifying panic?

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Chuck48

Post by Chuck48 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:01 am

When I first had panic (focused panic state) I wound up in ER because of the severity and persistence (2 days straight) of the panic. I do not call it an "attack" since it only subsided with ativan. Doctors prescribed prozac- made the panic more intense. Paxcil the same. Effexor the same (even tiny doses). Finally settled on 10 mg of Amitryptiline per day. 7 mg seroquel to sleep.
I don't have panic but I am almost always "uncomfortable". ie. breathing, feel better alone etc. My doc says I will always be on meds because of the focused panic state. I was wondering if anyone out there actually has worse symptoms after taking prozac or similar meds and what does it mean. I have never met anyone who had this reaction and am curious about another solution (taking the Attacking Course now).

epa

Post by epa » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi Chuck, I had been on 4 different AD's and never felt any help from them but had many bad side effects. I am med free for 5 months, have been doing the program and spend a great deal of time on the forums reading and writing posts as this helps me so much.

I really believe you will feel so much benefit from the program, far more than any med but you have to be focused and keep at it to the end. Keeping a journal of all your thoughts is vital to your success. Doing the homework and spending ample time on the sessions is also crucial to get all the skills that are taught in the weeks ahead.

Most people have been able to live great lives free from meds and you just may be added to the list. There is no such thing as never when we want something badly enough to fight hard to attain it.

I wish you so much luck on your journey towards a new life.
ATTITUDE -- The mind is like a parachute...it doesn't work unless it's open!!

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi Chuck, I too was tried on five different anti-depressants and my panic increased tremendously. I had obsessive thinking and terrible scary thoughts to the point I considered checking into the hospital. The only thing I can take is Ativan 0.5 mg 1x daily. It helps with the anxiety and when I am not anxious, I have much less depressive feelings. So you are not alone. This program is helping me a lot and I look forward to continued improvement. I am tired of going around this same mountain of anxiety and panic. I want to be free to live my life to the fullest. Good luck to you and all of us who struggle.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Dear Chuck... A while ago, I was prescribed Prozac for depression. The psychiatrist gave me one-fourth of the smallest amount, and I had a terrible reaction. I remember I had to go pick my husband up at a car dealership.. I had to drive on an interstate, and although I have no trouble driving, I felt like I couldn't get enough air, I rolled down the window even though it was winter, and I thought I was going to pull over to the side of the road and run screaming from the car!. After I picked him up, he drove, and I started to feel like my skin was crawling, and like I was going to jump right out of my skin!!! And this was with only one quarter of the prescribed amount!. So you are not alone in having adverse reactions to drugs. Since that time, I have probably been on every known anti-depressant....I wish I could say that they helped, but nothing has ever really worked for me. So, for a long time now, I have been on no prescription drugs, but I do take a lot of supplements which work better for me than anything. You are not alone in your perceptions and reactions. The truth is that this program has helped me more than anything..,Good luck!

sunnyweather

Post by sunnyweather » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:33 pm

Thanks to ebunny, dbail and msmom. Analyzing what you three are doing is encouraging. I mean that between the three of you, your total prescription drugs are .5 ativan per day! That is pretty good. If I stop the amitryptiline for more than a few days, the focused panic state starts again and is only controlled with a combination of amitriptyline and ativan. Then it takes months to wean off of the ativan. I suspect that I am lacking some nutrient but the doctors just shrug when I mention that. I am 59 years. Again thankyou to all.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:44 am

hello chuck
medication is certainly helpful to certain extent and not to mention i have been taking lexapro 10mg for last 3 years, its an antidepressant too... but its not the cure for our problems.... medication helps to calm us down but it isnt the tool that we need to recover from anxiety. we have to learn skills how to deal with anxiety and practice them enough so it becomes part of our automatic system....for example replacing negative thoughts with positive one..... i am doing this program of lucinda and it has proved to be the best.
i encourage to do this program and learn those skills
wish u the best
dhurba

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:29 am

Chuck, if you suspect you are lacking a nutrient, perhaps you could find a clinic that includes nutritional therapy :)

I once took Prozac for depression and it worked great, but then 5 years later, I took it for anxiety and it was horrible!

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”