Newcomer to taking Celexa

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Milaka527

Post by Milaka527 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:20 am

Hi, I have just started taking Celexa and it's been just about a full week. My doctor told me that it might take upwards of 4 weeks before I started to notice anything. After just about a week, I feel like my senses have heightened and I am a little anxious. I am taking the Celexa for depression and I think that because it is new in my system, I am just noticing everything. Is there anyone else out there who may be experiencing the same thoughts or concerns. Thanks for any response.

Mudgy

Post by Mudgy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:07 am

Hi there,

I have taken that medication for years and I did not think it was working but when I decided to take myself off it my depression worsen so I guess it does work after all. The problem is when you start feeling better you think you don't need to take it any more, not true for me I finally relaized it really did help me keep a handle on my depression. So it will take about a month I remember my doctor saiding that also.
Good luck I hope you feel better soon.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi Milaka,

I just started taking Celexa as well. Being too concerned/worried about side effects is my big pitfall. I've had the prescripton for at least 2 weeks & finally got the courage to take one. I'm not good with meds, I don't like them at all...but figured I'd give it a try.

Saturday morning I took a full pill (20mg) and I think it hit me about 4 hours later - I got really, really sleepy. I slept for 2 hours and got up, I was groggy for the next 3-4 hours...then I went back to bed for another 2 1/2 hours & woke up around 8pm. I went back to bed around midnight & slept very sound until 6:20am this morning!

Most of the day today I was really tired & slept a lot. I was so tired I didn't eat much. I have 2 small kids ages 3 & 5 - so thank God my husband, Mom & sister live with me!! They took care of the kids almost all weekend while I slept.

So, I think it's safe for me to say with my experience that it makes me super tired. (And that was only one pill)

Although it's not good to adjust your own medication, I have decided to take a 1/2 pill tonight & see if it helps. I figure if I take less than what they tell me, it's better than taking more. I'm not self-medicating, I'm just adjusting to my own comfort level by decreasing it.

I now know that all it'll do is make me sleepy, so I'm thinking I will be OK if I get the right mg.

My doctor also told me that it would take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to gain the full benefits from it. So, keep on keeping on & trust yourself!

Good Luck with the Celexa...I am anxious too, don't worry! If you need someone to chat with, I'm here - cracie_fl@yahoo.com - anytime.
God Bless! ~ Tracy

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”