Alcohol

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Nurse L

Post by Nurse L » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:32 am

I'm not up to session 11 yet, but have started the program and am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to control alcohol consumption. I use alcohol to self medicate for stress and depression, and it has gotten way out of hand. Thanks.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:17 am

Nurse L,
Most will tell you AA. I have found that AA was not for me. I found a book by Allen Carr called "How to control your drinking" was very insightful. I was able to become a "non smoker" after 33 yrs with NO problems! And his book on smoking was one key thing that did it. It was the easiest thing I have done (I had tried all the methods previously)You notice I said "non smoker" and did not say quit smoking. Its all in your head. I told my wife I will not quit drinking, but I will choose not to drink today. Sounds silly, but we are so programmed from both internal and external things. Its been working for 7 days now..... I will admit the anxiety does progress through out the day and it is not good. I have gotten so discouraged from the medical field as I believe its more about $$. I do not have the answer, but I appreciate you bringing up the subject. I am really "anxious" to receive my program and get started, that should be next week...I am really hoping to replace the need for any medication.
again thank you and hope it helps a little, your not alone! I look forward to following the subject.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:50 am

ramp,
you made some very good points. If we all think about it,, with any disorder, anxiety, depression, drinking, smoking, We Just DO today! We make our CHOICES each day. We can make good ones for ourselves, or we can make bad ones...
Im choosing to live today, regardless how i feel, or the situation that rears its ugly head... Good luck Nurse! nelly

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:05 am

Hi Nurse L. I'm also a nurse. Can you tell me how you are doing with your alcohol? For many years and I still continue--as of last night--to use it for the same reasons as you. It would be helpful to me to hear from you.
Thanks,
Nurse C.
I'm hoping that last night will be one of my last that I'm "altered".

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:25 am

Hi. I just wanted to also add that I don't think AA is a good choice for people with anxiety or OCD. They tell you you have a disease that lives inside you and wants to kill you and if you ever stop going to meetings you will die or go insane.
I believe Albert Ellis has a book that can help. Also, I've been thinking about the Carr books, but am a little hesitant that they might 'scare me'.

Patrick2112

Post by Patrick2112 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:34 pm

My husband and I used to be heavy drinkers when we first met. Then we quit for a few years. Then we decided to have a couple glasses of wine in the evening but we promised each other we would never drink apart from each other. Well,in August I became clinicly depressed. So,my doctor changed me to a different anti-depressant. I couldn't believe the change. But then after a few months I started getting depressed again, so I stopped drinking my two glasses of wine in the evening for two weeks and my depression stopped. So, I decided to drink one glass of wine at night and within a week I was depressed again. So, I stopped. But, I really missed having a glass of wine with my husband when he came home from work so yes I started drinking a glass of wine again and yes my depression is back again. I want to stop because of the depression but I am fighting a huge battle now!I realize the alcohol is messing with my depression & anxiety medicine. I really need help right now any comments would be very much appreciated.
Obstacles in the pathway of the weak become stepping stones in the pathway of the strong.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:27 am

New Jen,
I just came back to this site for the first time in many months. I read what I said back in January of 08. wow what a reminder of where I was. I finally found the answer in May 08. I gave Schick Schadel Hospital 10 days and they gave me my life back. That is what their advertisement said and it was so true. I have been a non user ever since and do not have any more anxiety or depression. I have almost forgotten what it was like....I use to suffer from anxiety terribly and now I know it was inherited and alcohol was only temperary and in fact would cause Anxiety. visous circle.
Not only do they medically treat you for alcohol they really teach you about how the receptors work in your brain. They are everything they say they are and was the best thing I could have done. I recommend their treatment to anyone. do some research...I cannot express the life I now have and my wife and kids are happy as well.
If you have more questions,feel free to ask. I truly would love to help.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:01 am

Hi rampamp,
Thanks so much for your reply and all the great info!. I have good news I talked to my psychiatrist last week and told him how even one glass of wine was making me depressed. His answer: "You should not be drinking alcohol at all with the medications you take. Alcohol does not let the enzimes(sp?) work with your medicines. So, you are not getting the full benefit of your med's." So, I sat down with my husband and read to him from my journal all the times I had tried to stop drinking, how drinking was affecting my emotions and I needed help. My husband has always been great and there for me but this time was awesome. He said: "I'm throwing out the wine and I am stopping with you. It's not right to have it in the house, or for me to be drinking in front of you. Now that you have talked with me about it and explained what you are going through!" Today truly is the first day of the rest of my life without alcohol! The thing is we are moderate drinkers but this program won't work fully for me without taking this step!

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”