Paxil CR 37.5mg - Side effects?

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Lena Hourglass

Post by Lena Hourglass » Wed May 28, 2008 7:19 am

I have been on this medication for a while without problems, since October or November at this dose (increase). But now I'm getting stomach cramps or bloating regularly and I'm pretty sensitive to stomach pains. Has anyone had similar problems with this medication? Could it be a side-effect of having too little breakfast on top of taking the medication?

Not sure what to do, but I don't want to take a Pepto on a daily basis.

Julene G.

Post by Julene G. » Thu May 29, 2008 4:42 pm

My personal experiene on Paxil for 2 years says get off that drug! Talk to your doctor, find another way! I'm surprised this drug is still being presribed. I went to a website called "quitpaxil.org". see if it's still out there. I had to take 2 weeks out of my life to get off this drug. It is known for causing suicidal symptoms, which I eventually developed after long term use of this drug, which I found strange for an anitidepressant. They compared the withdrawls to that of going off heroin! I had a real rough time getting off this drug.Never felt it helped me at all. Check with your doctor & see if that website is still out there. This program will help you more than you can imagine! Drugs may help but are not the only answer! I take xanax for my anxiety & it keeps me from having panic attacks anymore. Consult w/ your doctor or another proessional before you decide what to do! This is just my opinion! Best of luck to you! Take care of yourself!

Lena Hourglass

Post by Lena Hourglass » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:05 am

OMG! I am not relieved. I forgot I posted this forum and just now read your response because I am having problems again. Needless to say, the period of cramps passes and may or may not have had anything to do with the medication. I started carrying a pack of Pepto-Bismol, which resolved the issue. Recently, however, I was a bit irresponsible in getting my medication refilled and grabbed a bottle of 25 mg Paxil CR for a two week period, felt fine, forgot to take any medication for 2 days, labor day weekend, took the medication in the middle of the day on the third day and FREAKED OUT! I became very sick and went into a full blown panic attack with a bunch of negative thoughts that I hated my life and where I was in life. I threw up the Pepto-Bismol and could not tolerate the smell of food. It was scary, I thought I was at the very beginning of my struggle with anxiety and I had done nothing these past years. The worst part was that I felt "awake" not drowsy or dizzy or confused, but that this was the real me and I hated everything to do with my life.

The doctor prescribed me another stomach medication the next day. I was feeling slightly better (and eating) until I took that medication and got sick again. Perhaps it was the medication or perhaps it was the recommended food (yogurt) that I took with it and maybe I really was just sick with the stomach flu. All I know is that I was fine yesterday and I am better today, but struggling to make it through the morning because I took another pill of Paxil CR 37.5 mg (so I would not begin to feel symptoms of withdraw again).

I hope I had the stomach flu and I hope the Paxil will work again as it has done for me these past couple of years. I hope my stomach settles and my mind clears. Thanks for your experience, I will have to read more about the drug that I have depended on for so many years.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”