Coming off Lexapro

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Russo21

Post by Russo21 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:34 am

Hi everyone,

I've been on Lexapro for the past year, and I want to get off it in a couple of weeks (under my Doctor's supervision). I have been on 20 mg for most of the past year.

I was wondering if anyone has had success getting off of Lexapro, and if you had any side effects when you came off?

Thanks.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:05 am

Hey Russo,

I have been off of Lexapro for about 3 months now, and I took the same 20 mg dose as you did for a year with no ill side effects.

The key, I believe is properly trailing off. Keep up with your doctor about lower the dosage slightly each month or so and remember that you can do it!

Eric

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:22 am

I've been on Lexapro for about 5 years. I'm only taking 10mg. When I stop taking my meds, I get angry. It starts out small with a short temper and has excalated to violence. Just make sure you tell your doctor about any new symptoms you have. Good luck!

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:28 am

A few people get off it with little or no problems but most people have to be really careful.
I got off it successfully by weaning down VERY slowly. I decreased my dose from 10mg to 7.5mg for a month, then down to 5mg for another month, etc., etc. It took me 4 months to completely get to zero. Even though I was on it for about 2 months. Overkill? Possibly, but I still had some minor side effects.
Just go MUCH slower than you DR. says to. That's my recommendation.
God bless and peace be with you.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:56 am

Hey Russo, I was on lex 20mg for 6 months and just recently got off. I went from 20 every other day for the first week, then 10mg every other day for a weeks then 10 every 3 day then stop taking them. Coming off wasn't as bad as I though a few mild brain zaps little more tired than normal and definitly some mood swings about 1/2 through your withdrawl. I've been off for about 4 weeks and doing pretty good except for these tension headaches I get which the meds work great for. Trying to battle through this program with what little time I have. Anyway hope that helps good luck!!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:17 pm

HI,MY NAME IS STEPHANIE I AM ON LEXAPRO AND THAT IS A VERY GOOD THING THAT YOU CAN DO IT GET OFF UNDER YOU DOCTORS SUPRERISON,WHAT DOES YOUR DOCTOR THINK YOU GETTING OFF LEXAPRO ANY WAY DO YOU THINK THAT IS A GOOD THING FOR YOU TO.
FROM STEPHANIE

CherryC

Re: Coming off Lexapro

Post by CherryC » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:07 am

I was curious. My doctor had prescribed me 5 mg Lexapro (Cipralex) for panic attacks and after taking it for 10 days; we noticed its been doing me more harm than good. So I asked to quit taking it. It gave me dizziness, increased sweating, icy veins, aggitation etc the whole list of side effects and sent me to hospital several times. Although she told me that it takes 2 weeks of feeling worse before getting better, she gave me the go ahead. But now 2 days in, I feel really WACK.

My head hurts really bad, I'm crying, more dizzy, my vision is blurry and I have abdominal pain.

Can someone tell me if I'm withdrawing? Even if it was only 10 days at 5mg? My main worry is brain zaps. I really don't want to experience them :shock:

Thanks,

Cherry.
"I won’t explain or say I’m sorry. I’m unashamed, I’m gonna show my scar. Give a cheer for all the broken. Listen here, because it’s who we are"

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”