Advice

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
HAPPYTOBEME

Post by HAPPYTOBEME » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:32 am

I was dianosed with GAD about year ago. I quit drinking for almost a year but I started back due to a bad relationship that I was in and hanging aroung the wrong group of people. I take 10 milligrams of Lexapro and 0.25 milligrams of Klonpin. I know I should not even be drinking why I am on this medication. I know that I also need to stop drinking. I dont drink heavy. I just drinkg wine. I really want to stop. Can some please tell me what happens when you mix alcohol with medicine. Is there a potential for great danger? I also need some advise on how to quit drinking. I feel so horrible the next day and guilty. Nothin in life is better that being sober. Any advise would be greatly apprciated.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:09 am

Happy

You know already that its wrong and you know nothing good comes from mixing drugs and alcohol. You also sound like you really are aware of what you need but are afraid to reach out and grab hold.

Do you have the program? I see that you are new to the forum and I say Welcome to you.
This program is phenominal at giving you the skills and the inspiration to get well. All the anxiety is thoughts and feelings and we can control all of that.

While you gain control of your feelings and thoughts you become a stronger more healthy rounded person and you dont need the outside substances to get through the days. You can do it all on your own.

If you dont have the program I would say get it get started and see if you dont feel better.

Its your first step when you dont know where to go.
Dodger

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:33 pm

Thank so much for your advice. You are right I know that it something that I need to stop. I have had the program for over three years. When I thought I "recovered" from my GAD problems. I let a friend use it b/c she was going through a lot of stress in school. I think I may have to call her get it back. I have quit drinking before and I want let this anxiety and set back get the best of me. I will make it through this one again

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:31 pm

Yes get it back if you can. I am sure it will be very helpful. That would be a great if you can get it back.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi Happytobe me.
I too have had problems with drinking, and mine led to drugs. I was also taking a few different antidepressants. 20 something years of it. I became so out of control, I hated myself. I felt worthless and hopeless, and yet I continued because when I was high I felt better.
Drinking is a depressive. It took hitting bottom and the bottom falling out a few times before I went to rehab for 3 days. The rehab did nothing for me, but I started therapy and went to AA. I do not like crowds, so AA was not for me, but I got a few tools from them.
Tool #1 you cannot say I am going to quit forever, because you set yourself up for failure. Instead tell yourself that you will not drink today. (maybe tomorrow, but not today.) Then tomorrow you repeat it. You may need to say it a million times and really hold on as it is not easy. #2 Change your habits. Hanging with the same people or whatever you do when you drink, do something else instead. Little by little this will become your habit.
#3 pray to and praise your higher power. Ask that He keep you from alcohol today and at night before you go to bed, thank Him for keeping you away from alcohol. Also if you can get to a meeting or find an online one, just go and listen a few times. This helps knowing you are not alone, and I think this program will be good for you.
I will say a prayer and you take care.
Let us know how you are doing? I care and I know a lot of people here do too.
Sign me HOPEFUL

PS talking about it and bringing it out in the open helps too, which you have just done. You took the first step which is admitting that you have a problem.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:19 am

THANK SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES. THIS HAS BEEN VERY INSIGHTFUL. ITS HELP TO SPEAK AND RELATE TO OTHER PEOPLE THAT UNDERSTAND OR CAN AT LEAST RELATE TO WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH. I THINK DODGER SAID IT BEST WHEN HE SAID I WAS AFRAID TO REACH OUT AND GRAB HOLD. THE TRUTH IS I AM AFRAID.ANXIETY IS FUELED BY FEAR. I JUST HAVE TO KEEP THINKING TO MYSELF THAT NOTHING IS BETTER THAN HAVING PEICE OF MIND AND BEING SOBER AND I JUST WILL HAVE TO TAKE THINGS DAY BY DAY. I HAVE NOT HAS A DRINK FOR THREE AND I FEEL GREAT. MY ANXIETY HAS WENT DOWN ALOT ALSO. I DONT FEEL SO ON EDGE. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR INSIGHT.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”