Giving Up Alcohol Was My Turning Point!

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
NIRELANDGUY

Post by NIRELANDGUY » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:09 pm

I was a binge drinker, I drunk every weekend for 10 years, during that 10 years I never missed one weekend of alcohol. Little did I know it was the alcohol the caused me to be anxious the rest of the week.

I'm now of it 3 weeks today and the change has been amazing, No more silly anxious thoughts, I feel bloody great.

Any of you's to dependant on alcohol I urge you to give it up, you wont believe the change.
------------------------------
People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them. ~George Bernard Shaw

Check Out My Myspace Anxiety Blog And Feel Free To Add Me As A Friend..

http://www.myspace.com/samtheanxiousman

StevenFarrisOhio

Post by StevenFarrisOhio » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:28 pm

That is fantastic news. You will find the longer you go, the stronger you get. I have always said alcohol is a temporary fix. Once it becomes a habit, problems compound themselves! I am really proud of you and here is to many more months...years without it!
Steven Farris

NIRELANDGUY

Post by NIRELANDGUY » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:55 am

I find giving it up very boring, Especially on the like of a Friday and Sat night when I was used to being drunk, its very boring indeed
People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them. ~George Bernard Shaw

Phoebe in Ohio

Post by Phoebe in Ohio » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:09 am

So, I am curious, are you saying that you are still sober or that you have gone back to the drinking because the boredom was too hard to deal with? You sounded so possitive before. I hope you haven't given up. I encourage you to get out there and find other ways to amuse and entertain yourself on the weekends. The whole wide world is yours! Get help and support from others who are living sober. We all need encouragement and support. Best wishes! Phoebe

NIRELANDGUY

Post by NIRELANDGUY » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:41 pm

No I'm not back on it, It just really got to me last night, the boredom

Chaddy

Post by Chaddy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:08 am

You're not alone, I find the boredom / alone-time each evening makes it very difficult to quit drinking. I also find sleep an impossibility without alcohol and sleep aids.

Good job staying away from the stuff, I think it's really important to stay dry while going through this program. Thank-you for posting about this apparent link between aclohol and anxiety.

lannl4

Post by lannl4 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:02 am

Learning new hobbies,watching funny or heartfelt movies, reading etc. can help with the boredom, also AA is a great place to go on the weekend nights and a good place to make some great new friends!!! Keep up the abstinence-good luck.

spunkylaydee

Post by spunkylaydee » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:21 pm

It's good to see someone from the UK here! It's amazing you have given up binge drinking when no-one else in our country can! I too, do not binge drink, or get drunk! I enjoy the occasional drink but not to get hammered! Well done!

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”