Cycles of Alcoholism

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
mario villanueva

Post by mario villanueva » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:44 pm

Originally posted by Laura Carlson:
Boy, can I relate to minn. I am brand new to this program, just have it on "lease". (cant afford to purchase it.) But I have the same problem. I binge drink. So far, I can go up to 10 days without alcohol. I know it is non-productive for me. the 1st 3-4 days after, I am depressed, I isolate myself from the world and beat myself up over everything that has happened in my life. Then I feel good, am proactive and "smell the roses". "I can do this". And I'm good - for awhile. Then something stupid triggers me to drink again. It is a viscious cycle I am in. I have lost confidence as well as my self-esteem. Not suicidal, but do have fleeting moments. Life sucks, I'm not worth the air that I breath, etc. etc. My adult children would never forgive me - hence I will never act upon it. I know I need a support system, but when I am living in this cycle, I either think I don't need it, or can't get myself to do it. Heck, today is the 4th day I haven't been out of the house!! :(( Gonna try though. Wish me luck.
<A HREF="mailto:packers_attack004@yahoo.com">packers_attack004@yahoo.com</A>

kathykat

Post by kathykat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:33 pm

Hello. I am in the same boat. I go for three to ten days without drinking. The first day sober is hell ( self-loathing, anxiety, etc). Somehow when something stressful happens i believe the lie "it will be different this time", and I drink. I've been working the program about a month now, and I think it is helping me. I am so glad to hear I am not alone in this mess, and that some of you are years along in recovery. I also didn't start drinking until late in life, and have adult children. I do want to get better. AA is hard for me. I haven't yet found comfort there, but I am going to keep trying. This program is giv ing me the strength to keep going out and trying. Thank you all for writing and sharing your stories. kathykat.

demo

Post by demo » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:56 pm

I started drinking later in life, my children are grown and my family life has become less. I often feel depressed and drink, I don't want to but that little voice in my head most often wins. I am on lexapro but it doesn't to the trick. I also can not bring myself to AA. I just hope the program will kick in and start me on a better path

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Hello Demo and everyone:
This is such a good thread from start to finish.

I used alcohol - self medicated with it. But it sure will backfire on a person.

I liked AA. I went for a few years. I wasn't aware of a program like this when I went. But I wouldn't take for those times I was in AA.
It was very beneficial. As Alcohol is only a symptom.
This program will be a great aid to you.
because it gets to the bottom of one's lack of self-esteem. And other anxiety producing
traits.
I just with everyone the freedom of not using.
I have not used alcohol in years and years now.
Good feeling.
And it really isn't so hard to quit. A person just thinks that it will be.
Once you decide you want the freedom - go for it!

God bless!
SR

tardy

Post by tardy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:23 am

laura, i can so relate to you! i have quit for 10 days at a time, was so proud of myself, got so much accomplished, then something would trigger me to start again. i haven't even tried to stop lately.. i am hoping this program will help. i know i drink to numb my anxiety. when i did quit, i was following aaonline seems like all day, all nite. it was very helpful. they have online meetings several times a day, and just a regular chatroom. i did manage to get to one face to face meeting. it was fine, just not my cup of tea i don't think. maybe it just wasn't the right group for me. i think i will just continue with the program (this is week 1 for me) and hope it will lead me in the right direction..

teasha

Post by teasha » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:11 am

Hey Tardy. I have had a problem with alcohol for many years and have tried to quit many times with out any luck. The addiction is over powering along with the terrible cravings!!! If you want to help one another thatd be great!! My anxiety the day after i drink is horrible and want, to just be happy and normal. Ya know?? Anyhoo, if youd like to chat thatd be great!! Take care, Teasha

*slimjim

Post by *slimjim » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:18 pm

Slimjim saying HI. Just wanted to see if you woulld like to take a peek at my latest webcomic? If so let me know what you think.
Thanx.
[url=http://madamexinc.smackjeeves....cs/1029786/mx-inc-1/]http://madamexinc.smackjeeves....cs/1029786/mx-inc-1/[/url] I'm a recent graduate of the program and I just wanted to show those of you what this program has allowed me to do in ways I never thought was possible. It's allowed me to unlock some major creative juices and it can do the same for you guys as well.

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”