Reducing medication (Paxil) vs. Medication withdrawal

Gain an understanding of the various types of medications so you can make informed decisions on your long-term care.
Sara_2019

Reducing medication (Paxil) vs. Medication withdrawal

Post by Sara_2019 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:50 pm

I had success about 3 years ago cutting back my medication (Paxil) from 20 mg per day to 10 mg per day. It was a wonderful and proud feat to be sure. It gave me hope that one day I could be medication-free. Then my busy life went on and I never took the next step until last month when I spoke to my doctor about how to get off medication completely. I started the plan to go from 10 mg per day to 5 mg per day for 6 weeks. However, it's been a major struggle since I started. Lots of highs and lows. Today is the first really bad day where I just feel sick to my stomach and (physically and mentally) anxious - kind of like having the stomach flu with panic attacks :cry: . Thus, I'm restarting the program to help me get through this struggle. I'm sure there are others out there with this struggle. I don't want to deter anyone from tapering off medication or from getting on medication. It was just unfortunate that I was so young and naive about it. I'm not sure medication was a mistake since I was very sick back then, but I neglected to realize how taking medication daily over a very long period of time could prove harder and more problematic later in life. There is a real struggle to get off medication once dependent on it. For me, the dependency has lasted for over a decade. Thank goodness for this program, because it helped me more than once in my life. I hope it can help me realize my goal of being medication-free.

I probably would not bother with this struggle and just stay medicated... for now, but my biological clock is ticking and the medication poses too many health risks to take during a future planned pregnancy. Medication is a serious concern for WOCBA (women of child bearing age). It helps to have a doctor (or to find a doctor) that listens and understands the hardship. Not all doctors are attuned to medication dependencies and withdrawals. I think I just lucked out with mine.

coachchris

Re: Reducing medication (Paxil) vs. Medication withdrawal

Post by coachchris » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:40 pm

Hi Sara,

Thank you for posting and congratulations on persevering in your health journey.
I too chose to come off of Paxil after being on it for about 12 months. It was very helpful for me during difficult season.
I chose to come off of it because I did not like the side effects and i learned new coping skills through my faith and this program.
It was a slow journey tapering off of 20 mg. Lesson two really helped me be able to float and breathe through the ups and down. Lots of water and moderate exercise was also beneficial and of course the relaxation exercise. I experienced when, I put into practice the life skills in the program and keep Jesus in the center of my journey, then stress hormones and adrenaline stay under control.

Hang in there. It sounds like you're very close to the end. Stay positive. Use lots of positive whatifs.
Finally, anytime we make changes in medication or even supplements...the goal is to not make decisions based in fear but facts.
Let's get educated and keep stepping forward. Everyone's journey is different. Be proud of where you are. Keep growing. You can be everything you desire to be.

If you have questions or need assistance with the program feel free to email me.

Coach Chris

Return to “Session 11 - Medication and Alcohol”