DENICE'S PROGRAM FOR CAUSING ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:51 pm

energy - Thanks! :D My OCD tends to be about checking things like locks and appliances, so it came pretty naturally.

Ninja - Oh, I've already got that one figured out. The smoking section can be built out aluminum foil. It works out great since it's usually in the same aisle as the paper towels!

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:16 pm

Holy cow! I my last post just bumped the thread to Page 17! Do I get an award or parting gift or something? ;) To celebrate, I've added some new ideas but they can never match the brilliance of my first post, this being a sequel and all...

1) Cover the gas gauge in you car with some electrical tape so you can't see it. That way it will always be a mystery as to where your trip will end (and no cheating by using the odometer).

2) Change your outgoing voice-mail message to "I'm sorry, I'm panicking and not available right now. If you want to reach me immediately, please call 911 and ask for me."

3) When flying, take a voice recorder and dictate your last will and testament in the event "you don't make it." Ask the people next to you if they want to add anything.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:18 pm

SeaRunner..You are freaking Hilarious!! I had a crappy day and laughing always helps me so much. Coming to this thread is therapy!!
And Ninja The whole Empire idea is Excellent. You two could make sooo much money if you collaborate!
;)

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:22 am

Thanks Jill! Writing in this thread is therapy for me too. :)

About the empire...
I call president! I call president! Oh wait...that probably requires some commitments and responsibility. I call grunt worker! LOL

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:10 pm

Here's a few:

When you're obsessing and having an anxiety attack, make sure you ask for reassurance from your safe person. If you don't feel reassured after you've heard it once, ask the same thing again in a different way and if the safe person gets upset after you keep repeating yourself and leaves the room, make sure you follow and keep bombarding him/her with the questions until he/she gets really angry. After all now you're worried that he/she doesn't like you anymore and your original anxiety is gone so you feel better.

If you're in a public place and you get anxious, make sure you let it show on your face and everyone sees it. Why not just show it openly when everyone's noticed it anyway and you look weird every time you feel anxious. If someone looks at you while you're anxious, tell them you already know that you're looking strange and that it's just anxiety and it will go away.

When you're with a negative person who makes you feel anxious, make sure you express your feelings and thoughts about him/her assertively as follows: "I feel anxious and obsessed when you're so negative all the time", "I feel I get so depressed when I have a chat with you because you keep going on about...", "I feel so bad when you say... that I feel like strangling you or stabbing you". Just make sure you stay assertive, use "i" messages and don't raise your tone, keep an eye contact and stand erect when you express your feelings.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:43 pm

LOL good ones Satu...

at the movies make sure you go to a movie that you've already seen and announce - very loudly and knowingly - what'll happen before each scene comes up...not a bad idea too to throw in a loud conversation with the characters on screen...after all, you know they can hear you and are just ignoring all the advice you're yelling at them while watching the movie...

when buying shoes or sandals, make sure you buy them 3-4 sizes too small then take them home and drive yourself crazy wondering how in the world your feet got so big from the last time you went shoe shopping

Admin_1

Post by Admin_1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:57 pm

Originally posted by SeaRunner:
Holy cow! I my last post just bumped the thread to Page 17! Do I get an award or parting gift or something? ;) To celebrate, I've added some new ideas but they can never match the brilliance of my first post, this being a sequel and all...

1) Cover the gas gauge in you car with some electrical tape so you can't see it. That way it will always be a mystery as to where your trip will end (and no cheating by using the odometer).

2) Change your outgoing voice-mail message to "I'm sorry, I'm panicking and not available right now. If you want to reach me immediately, please call 911 and ask for me."

3) When flying, take a voice recorder and dictate your last will and testament in the event "you don't make it." Ask the people next to you if they want to add anything.

I am still giving the gas gague idea some serious thought! I really want to live on the
edge..
;)

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:17 pm

Jill, you're such a rebel!

There's some truth to the gas gauge one for me. I ride a motorcycle and for some unknown reason to man, many sport motorcycles don't have a gas gauge at all. So, you have to do a little math based on your gas tank size and your average gas mileage and then hope the odometer works well! I'm always freaked out I'm going to run out of gas on that thing, especially when I'm doing a lot of city driving and burning fuel at at a lower MPG.

One day you might get a panicked call from me desperately begging you to drive up to Washington with a gallon of super unleaded. I'll be waiting off to the side in fetal position with my the program flash cards held tightly in my hands...

So, a few more ideas:

1) When buying crackers or cereal, make sure you get the beat up box in the back that is partially opened (you know the one). After eating some of the contents, spend some good quality time thinking about why the box was opened and who might have done it.

2) Volunteer to speak at the next available business meeting at your office. Don't ask what the topic of the meeting is and be sure to wear your "casual Friday" clothes. A baseball cap is encouraged.

3) Answer all telemarketer calls. Tell them you're so glad they called; you really need to talk right now.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:22 pm

Jamie
I am the coordinator at a food bank and on donations day I sit around picking out the beat up boxes and the ones with tears or damage and without fail I have a worker who says we should keep them and give them out to the families that come for help. You can imagine my response? It's as if your new number one you posted was written just for me and my OCD paranoid mind. Thank You so much..haha
I love it!

;)
J~

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Jill -

That one came straight from my repertoire of anxious OCD thoughts! You don't know how many boxes of cereal, cups of yogurt, even bent up cans of soda that I've thrown out because I know that that the nourishment I get is not even close to the anxiety I'll have knowing for sure that I've been poisoned (either by natural food poisoning or some deranged individual). Oh, the things we worry about!

Jamie

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”