Humor for this hypochondriac

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.
tweaky1h

Post by tweaky1h » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:35 am

I have a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck which has been the source of my hypochrondriac focus since late summer. It's been enlarged for as long as I can remember, I was told by a doctor it was due severe ear infections as a child, and I never worried about it. But I started to notice it would get even bigger when I was anxious and stressed, especially when it pertained to issues with family members. Being creative and intelligent, and having unrestrained use of a computer to symptom surf, I have dreamed up the many way this bump is killing me. I touch it now obsessively, having anticapatory anxiety when I think of doing it, and mini panic attacks when I find it's larger than usual.

You'd think I would have gone to the doctor for this before now and in a way I did. The ENT told me not to worry about it (without testing it) and the TMJ doctor said any pain in the area was just TMJ and gave me a mouth guard. I knew I needed it tested before I could feel better about it, but they were giving me the answers I wanted to hear.

So here I am. Today is the day I'm going to get an ultrasound on it...yesterday was Sunday and we had a decent, albeit stressful family day, with my ADHD husband, Asperger's son, and ADD daughter. Last night the node was slightly enlarged, but knowing the pattern, I knew it would go down during the night and be the slightly enlarged node it always was. I'd go in to get it imaged and they'd say "what bump?", and I'd be embarrassed and not get the answers I want. I feared it would be just like the appliance that always malfunctions except when the repairman comes to fix it.

I woke up and the node is...HUGE!!!!!!! Yes, it scares me and I sought comfort from my husband who exclaimed "Don't worry, your "Check Engine Light" is on!".....and now I might get the answers I need :-)

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:22 am

Wow...I hope all is well. Keep us updated on the results!

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”