What haven't I Done in the Name of Anxiety?!

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:59 pm

I have taken my puppy as a security blanket in a ride to go to someone's house so I would'nt be afraid.(lol)what could the puppy do to save me from my anxiety../

I have to have my daughter babysit me because I'm afraid to be alone at home..wait a minute..shouldn't this be the other way around?

If i go to a store, I have to have my blue gel, my purse and my anxiety book (security blanket)

If i go into a store, I only go for a few items and I usually have someone with me..atleast waiting in the car.

Even before I enter a store, I'm looking for the carts..to help me steady myself from the "dizzies" I don't want to look like i'm swaying...

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:05 pm

I have really enjoyed reading these and could identify with quite a few.

Mainly it reminded me of some things that I did as a child.

Once when I was about 7 I thought I was sick and dying, but was afraid to tell my Mom. I took my temperature and about freaked out because the thermometer said I had a fever of 106. I went to bed waiting to die. I finally got tired of waiting and went to tell my Mom. Come to find out I had laid the thermometer on the stove before using it.

Once, in school, I sat and stared at my fingernails all day because I had noticed they smelled odd and I thought that meant I was dying. My Mom had mentioned that when a person in on their death bed, their nails began to turn blue so I kept watching for that to happen. Realized later that my nails and tips of my fingers smelled like onions because I had helped my Mom chop them up the night before.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:25 am

I love these posts in the humor section! I think it has helped me as much as the relaxation tapes! I had the carbon monoxide thing too. I was sure I had carbon monoxide poisoning last winter when I had the gas fireplace on. I kept thinking how would I be able to call anyone if I pass out? And who would recusitate my cat? I was so sleepy and had such a headache and my cat was sleeping too much too. I finally realized that the temperature in my house was about 95 degrees! No wonder I was so sleepy and my cat was in a coma!!

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:07 am

These are so great to read!!! So glad I'm not the only one! I so take forever looking at pills wondering if maybe I should just take half for now and see what happens. And then half looks too big!

Here's some others-

If I'm about to cook up ground beef and I pick up a big spatula thing to cook it up with and then change my mind and use another spatula, I put the first spatula in the dishwasher! Because I already think it has ecoli on it! Even though I never even used it! I just happened to pick it up and hold it for a brief moment.

One time I thought to myself how irrational my what if thoughts were, so I decided to make up some totally off the wall what if thought. Just to show myself how silly they were. So, I thought "what if I suddenly started liking dog food?" And then I actually had this brief moment of "oh man, what if I DO suddenly start liking dog food?"!!! What in the world? I actually got scared. hahaha

I was scared to take claritin because it has an allergic reaction warning on it. But it's for allergies!! I finally did take it and nothing drastic happened other than I felt better!

I once didn't eat strawberries one year because some people somewhere in this world are allergic to them and what if I'm one of them. I loooove strawberries and went back to eating them the next year. How could I deprive myself of that?? My mother in law's making fresh strawberry shortcake and I'm just looking at it.

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:18 am

I like to go through the express checkout and count the items of the people in front of me. Hey wait a minute that's more than 10!!!
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:23 am

I read an article recently that said you should wash your underwear by themselves so as not to contaminate other clothing with possible e coli. Now I'm afraid to pick up my own underwear!! Everytime I look in the hamper I think "Am I gonna get sick?"

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:15 pm

This is so great! It makes me look at what I do in a different light - I'm only on Session 3, so I'm still learning how much anxiety and negative thinking has affected my life!

I have made myself throw up when I thought medicine I took was actually causing problems...

I have suspected green tea of causing palpitations...

I have sat out in freezing cold with shorty pjs to try and calm down from anxiety

I have run from my kids when I felt overwhelmed and going into a full blown panic attack (they are 3 and 5!! get real!!)

I panicked after giving my name and address to two gentlemen at a mall who I bought some dead sea salt products from because I feared they were actually terrorists trying to get addresses to kill people...(they were just sending out coupons...)

I have thought that my animals had some instinct that something was wrong with me and I didn't have long to live too...

I have walked around almost constantly with my hand on my neck trying to check my pulse or holding the center of my chest to ensure I was not having a heart attack (like either could stop one!)

and the best one...

I used to not want to sit on the toilet because I was afraid a snake would come up the plumbing and bite me...

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:00 am

Wow! This is an eye opener for me. I have had MANY irrational thoughts, but usually don't act on them, thank goodness. I will share a few of the thoughts that have gone through my head, but they probably aren't as amusing as some of the others.

When my first daughter was just a couple months old, we stayed in a hotel room that was far too warm (and yes... I'd seen the same shows on black-light hotel room uncleanliness discoveries). There was a hockey team staying in the same hotel being kind of rowdy. We were above the bar, so that was kind of noisy, and there were some people outside that had had far too much too drink and were being rather obnoxious and offensive. I had to have the window open because of the heat and the fact that my baby wouldn't stop screaming. I went into full blown panic mode... convinced that I'd brought this child into a horrible world, that there was no hope for anyone, and that I'd have to move far away from anywhere to get any peace. I learned MUCH later that I was dealing with Post Partum Depression. It affected ALL my thoughts and almost everything I did!

I once took a FoodSafe course to become certified to handle food safely for the public (for what, I don't know- I had no aspirations to become a chef, or even work in a restaurant). Anyway, after taking the course, I couldn't stomach the thought of eating anyone's food but my own. I was convinced that the waitresses were handling money along with food, that all the tables were filthy, and the everything had been cross contaminated and that none of the restaurants in town had FoodSafe certified workers. With the exception of an occasionally gassy feeling after eating too much Chinese food, I'd never experienced anything bad from eating out! I had to get over those thoughts quickly, because I enjoy not having to cook once in awhile!

I live in a cold, northern climate because there are NO bugs in the winter, and not too much to deal with besides the occasional blizzard or summer lighting storm, and winter is very long here! I've missed out on a lot of travel opportunities for fear of what COULD happen. I get nervous traveling to warmer climates because there are bugs or storms that I'm not familiar with! We just seem to have a lot of mosquitoes and thunder and lightning storms in the summer (which brings the fear of West Nile virus... which could be a conspiracy theory just like the Avian Flu... LOL). I added the storm stuff after the bug stuff, so if it sounds a bit choppy, sorry.

I don't particularly like swimming in public pools for fear of things like athlete's foot and warts (and now three members of my family have warts on hands or feet... so swimming is out... do you think I may have had the power of suggestion and brought it on myself? LOL)

Okay... one last one. I never pray out loud because I fear that my innermost thoughts will be used against me by the side of Evil! I figure that God knows what I'm thinking... that's good enough! I still pray.... but in my mind.

Many of us have probably had fears about flying, spiders, bugs, terrorists, embarrassing ourselves, etc, but I wonder how much we realize when watching someone embarrass themselves or doing irrational things, that they could have an anxiety problem, too? Food for thought for the next time you see someone do something stupid or irrational!

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:33 pm

I can't go to sleep unless I have a sheet or blanket covering me up to my neck because I think a monster is going to attack me if I'm exposed.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:31 am

I can't shower in strange places. If I have to then I won't let my toes touch the bottom of the tub? Like my heels won't get whatever's down there!

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”