What haven't I Done in the Name of Anxiety?!

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:58 pm

>I slept with my mother on and off until I was 20.
>I've carried xanax around with me for 14 years (only took it twice).
>I have a plastic bag in my purse should I happen to throw up (I haven't in 18 years).
>I started my own business so I would have to answer to anyone (Yeah that takes the pressure off) It's closed now.
>I broke my medication into chips because I was afraid to take too much.
Giselle

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:57 pm

These all made me laugh even though I know how seriously stressed out they can mkae you at the time. Here are some of mine:
1) I found a white hair on my son's head (he's eleven). I was so afraid that he had that disease where kids age prematurely. That was a few months ago and he still looks like an eleven year old
2) My son had an outbreak of eczema and I was so afraid that it was a reaction to a spider bite.
3) A friend told me that I looked like I was at peace one day and then I was afraid I was going to die on the way to a conference I was attending the next day.
4) One day I had this wierd taste in my mouth and I was afraid I had gotten poisened by the ant traps in my office...

Those are just a few - it's good to be able to laugh about them afterwards. At the time, the fear is so real.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:59 pm

I usually just lurk on days when my anxiety is high and I want to see that others are going thru the same. But this topic was to good to pass up. I had agoraphobia for about 2 years with daily multiple panic attacks. I went thru the program about 8 years ago and thankfully it has never come back as badly as it was then, but when life is out of control, the anxiety creeps back in.

This past summer I decided that i was taking my 2 kids (10 & 15) camping for a few days. I hadn't been alone with out another adult before and was a little nervous but went anyways. The 2nd night we were there, it was raining and foggy. Somewhere around midnight both my son and I were awakened by someone screaming. We both listened for a few minutes to this. It was unrelenting, all of a sudden I swore that I heard someone walking in the woods towards our site. I told my son to wake his sister and that we were leaving. So we ran to the car, got in and proceeded to try to drive home. If that wasn't bad enough, our site was on an island, so as I'm driving I'm thinking OMG, what if the murderer is waiting on the only bridge out for us to drive by so they can get us, when we passed the bridge with no incident I was then convinced that they were following us. It was a very intense ride home for me.

The next day we went back to the site, looked around and finally I was convinced that nothing had happened. I did hear someone else talking about the screaming, apparently it is an animal (the name escapes me now what it is) that sounds like a human screaming.

I felt like such an idiot afterwards, now I laugh at it.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:09 pm

TEEDS,

What really caught my attention was your screen name. I'm wondering if you are a Teed like ME :eek: I almost NEVER meet ANYONE with my name, so I was surprised :eek: In response to what you wrote, you have an imagination just like mine used to be and still has tendencies. Wow, if I was brave enough to share some of the stories somewhat similar to yours ... you would LAUGH. Maybe I will one day. But the good thing is that I have really gotten that under control, and life is a LOT better. Hope to hear back from you about your screen name. I'm curious.

Karmerri

Post by Karmerri » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:24 pm

1. i have to blink in the mirror three times and turn my head right without looking back into the mirror befor i leave a room...i think if i don't do this i could get stuck in the mirror

2. when i was younger if i came within 20 feet of something toxic i would wash out my mouth and wash my hands

3. I am terrifyed of plastic grocery bags, i am afraid i will choke to death on the little plastic tabs on the handle...oh the measures i have taken by not wearing clothes that were put in them to stripping my bed if it got to close

4. i use to be afraid to swallow, afraid i had gotten poison in my mouth, so i spit all the time, (i was 11 then)

5. I laid sprawled eagle in the grass one time trying to figure out if i was in a dream, then i panicked that i would get sucked up by the vastness of the universe.

6. i use to sleep with my mom so i wouldn't get abducted by aliens

7. i have used the same rinsing technique in the shower for 10 years...don't ask me why but it is a hoot.

8. oh geez i hate to list anymore lol

beth226

Post by beth226 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:14 am

I haven't laughed like this in weeks.....even tho this thread is old.....it is timeless!!! :D

Hally

Post by Hally » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:10 am

WOW... did I need that... haven't laughed like that for a long time!!

I've plagued myself with many of the same thoughts... I'm just now starting to laugh at myself. :p It feels great. :p
Two paths diverged in a yellow wood.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:58 pm

KDFord26-
PLEASE post some more!!! ;)

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:03 pm

Lol okay lets see...

I once locked myself out of the house because i was afraid i was going to cut myself with our steak knives, i sat out there for hours until my mom came home

One time when I was riding with my grandmother in a place i didn't know I jumped out the car at a stop light...i was paniking that we were lost...exactly what I planned to do i don't know

for about a year and a half I was convinced that I had a chicken bone stuck in my throat.

when I was eleven we lived in a really old house with no indoor water so we ran a hose inside I was in the bathtub when my mom turned the hose on and it shot right between my legs...I pannicked and asked my mom if you could get pregnant by a water hose.

I use to worry constantly every month until I had my period, because I was convinced i had gotten pregnnt even though I was a virgin. I figured toilets seats, my brother laundry something had done the job

oh and I run when I panic I haul ass and just run up and down the hall flapping my hands and freaking out...but I have conqured that

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:31 pm

KD you are too funny! Remember, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing WITH you :)

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”