I need help from anyone willing to take a little time out of their day

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.
PinUpGal

Post by PinUpGal » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:02 am

I am writing a book on anxiety, it's been in the works now for a while and the publisher is ready to go. The only problem is I feel like it is missing something, and that something is stories from people who have been through the same things as the people who are going to read this book. I have had Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder since I was a child; I have read every self help book, gone to every type of therapy, been on this board for years etc. I am also a psychologist about to start med school. I thought it would be great to write something from the POV of the therapist but also from someone who has been through it, (and still dealing with it), themselves. I also thought that it would be great if I could bring some humor to the subject. It is a very serious topic, of course, and it's not meant to make light of mental illness however I think it would make people feel better if we could joke around about the things that scare us or that we have been through; make people feel less alone. So I have done the research and the writing but now I would like some help in compiling stories. It would be great if they were funny but fine if they aren't!It will be published and you can choose to have your name in the book or I can leave it anonymous, the only thing that I ask is that you let me know if and when you were diagnosed and if you have ever been misdiagnosed and for how long. Some of the topics I talk about in the book are:

-"What if" thoughts/visualizations (what if I fall down and embarrass myself, what if I am crazy, what if I hurt others or myself, etc.)
-Fear of dying or feeling as if you are dying(heart attack, cancer, etc.)
-Not wanting to get out of bed in the morning
-Feeling like you may be crazy
-Social anxiety
-OCD tendencies
-Impulsive or racing thoughts (investing money in something only to lose interest in it right away for something better)
-Phobias
-Therapy stories

and anything else that you can think of, I am open to suggestions. Keep in mind that thousands of people could be helped and feel more comfortable from reading these stories so you would be doing a wonderful thing. I appreciate it! You can message me here or email me at shunamanda@yahoo.com.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:47 am

We really need a book like that. So many books are written just on panic attacks. They really dont address the issues like obsessive thinking and scary thoughts ect.... Hurry Hurry I cant wait to read it!! By the way what has helped you the most? I struggle most with the scary thoughts issue.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:29 am

The scary thoughts have always been my downfall too. I have some exercises in the book that have helped me along the way but going to school and actually figuring out what was going on while it was happening helped me a lot. It's the reason that I am so passionate about psychology and the reason that I tend to dislike going to most of my therapists. They only know what they are taught, (which is what I was taught also), but the ones I have been to can't relate; they go strictly by the book and I think for anxiety it's so different for everyone that you can't really work like that.

I also think it helps people with anxiety when they feel like they can talk about their thoughts, which if you have scary thoughts can sometimes make a person feel ashamed or crazy. I thought that if I could kind of poke fun at some of the crazy thoughts that I have had, more people could relate and realize that it's the illness making them think that way and has nothing to do with who they really are.

I still would love to put other peoples thoughts in the book but I have yet to meet or find anyone online that is willing to participate.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi Pinupgal: I can relate to you totally. I am writing a book also. My book is a candid look on my struggle with anxiety and depression. I tell it all the good the bad and the ugly.There is nothing to hide and I am open enough to share my experience. It has been very therapeutic to write how about you? What has your experience been like writing? Love to share.
Denise :) :)

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:13 pm

I agree that it can be therapeutic. In some ways it brings up things that I intentionally try to put out of my mind but I think that may be good for me as well. I am also discovering that I am not a great writer; my use of the English language is adequate at best and my punctuation is far worse. However, I am enjoying the process.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:31 pm

PinUpGal -

So, I have to admit that with anxiety and panic being fairly traumatic, I'm finding it difficult to come up with any funny stories even though I have over 20 years of experience to draw on. However, a few experiences come to mind.

When I was much younger, I was part of an anxiety support group and training program. One of the issues we covered was learning not to worry about what others think of us. Our assignment for that week was to do something unusual or that would otherwise draw some attention to see how we would deal with our self doubt. I remember that an example that they gave us was to go to the grocery store and purchase a single grape. I of course avoided doing this as I was still in high school at the time and was already overly concerned with fitting in on top of being agoraphobic. So when it came time to share our experiences for the week, I wasn't able to participate. However, after the group session was over and I was walking back out to the car with my parents, I realized that I had the fly of my pants down the entire time. I supposed I participated after all, albeit unknowingly!

I also suffer from OCD. One of my fears is about buying food at the grocery store that may have been "tampered with". I suppose I can trace this fear back years ago (I don't know if you remember this) when someone had poisoned some Tylenol capsules with cyanide. So, whenever I buy groceries, I always check that all the safety seals are intact, the packaging looks good (no dents or tears), and never take an item from the front row. On one of my shopping trips, I was picking up yogurt. I always take off the lid and examine the plastic safety seal before putting one in my cart so that I know it's sealed. But, I don't just look at the seal. I also "gently" squeeze the container while simultaneously pushing down on the plastic seal to make sure no air is escaping (through hypodermic needle holes obviously). In this particular case, it was one of the large pint size yogurt containers and I apparently exerted a bit too much pressure. Suddenly a geyser of yogurt was shooting out onto my clothes and the floor while my hand was wrist deep in the remainder. I was none too happy and partner could only shake is head at my experience.

Do either of these stories work for you?

Jamie

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:40 am

I loved the yogurt story. I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for over thirty years. I always thought I was the only person in the world with it. I thought I was my therapists only real client and everyoone else was discussing their hang nails. I never knew other people had scary thoughts and I felt such a relief when I found that out. Good Luck writing your book. Rachel's mom

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:26 am

LOL!!! Jamie all you need to do is turn the yogurt upside down slowly and you can see
if the seal is broken then. And here I thought
I was the only OCD knucklehead....love it!
;)

You Rock!

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Oh Jill, surely you must know by now that I never do things the easy way! :p

Jamie

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:32 am

Jamie, as I read about your experiences at the grocery store, I felt as though I was reading about myself. I do everything exactly the way you describe, except I do take the items that are in the front row. I don't feel very comfortable with bread and other items that don't have safety seals. I never eat the first piece and I usually wait until someone else has eaten it and with most things I don't eat them right away in case there is a recall. And I absolutely HATE taking medication, vitamins, etc. I usually have a terrible panic attack and and that's just the beginning. But it's so funny that you mention the Tylenol scare from years ago. I was a young child when that happened and I was terrorized by it. I remember being so afraid of eating anything and I was so sad for the people that died. I remember crying for days. I felt so unsafe and unprotected. It's nice to hear that someone else remembers it, maybe it has happened to other this way?

Wendy

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”