Facing Fears

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.
Hilar Braggs

Post by Hilar Braggs » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Hebb, I know what you are going through, because right now I am at that point were I am facing fears. I am taking a computer crash course, and it's getting to the parts where I not understanding things, but I'm telling myself that I will continue to learn how to do this. Because I would have giving up a long time ago.[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]
HB

FoxG

Post by FoxG » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi unsigned I had those exact same fears of looking up at clouds or the stars and feeling unimportant and those unanswerable philosophical/spiritual questions etc. It was my drama and ego-centricity I guess which I still have. I still think those things but it doesnt bother me as much anymore. lots of therapy and time and nature I guess. getting over myself helps me too. And facing the real fears going on rather than these funny ones. Like calming down grounding and being/living in the present rather than in scary memories or thoughts. Or asking women that I am attracted to rather than just are attracted to me out. or trying to find work or let go of using too much force and strain when I exercise and do yoga. making commitments. or being my own friend. Maybe a teddy bear helps sometimes. Or a dog or cat or friend to cuddle with and help you feel glad you are you and a mere mortal and also that you dont have to think to much but its ok if you do. sometimes it helps me to journal all those thoughts. sometimes I like to hear myself "talk" or maybe I get bored and move on.Good luck with it.
FoxG

allie76

Post by allie76 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:39 am

I laughed reading this whole thing!! How funny loved it:)

flippinkid

Post by flippinkid » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:20 am

I just found this thread. I thought I was the only one that imagined hotels collasping on top of me!!

And as for being embarrassed by dying of a heart attack - yes thats the one. I can't be seen to look a fool in front of all those people by dying!

Laughed through the entire post.....

karmatism

Post by karmatism » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:07 am

I remember being like 8 years old and I was trying to fall asleep and I started thinking about dying and going to heaven and being told that heaven is forever. I got to thinking what "forever" meant and I started crying. My mom came is and asked me what was wrong and I was sobbing, "heaven is FOREVER!" She looked at me like she had no idea what I was talking about and I felt so different from her. I never told anyone that again.

sherry2010

Post by sherry2010 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:59 am

wow, I have almost the exact same memory...probably around the same age, and when going to bed one night I started obsessing over how people say "God has just always been there". I felt so overwhelmed trying to understand how he could not have "started/been born" somewhere/sometime. And it followed up with thoughts of dying and heaven and what all of it meant. I guess it's our analytical minds?...

Brent K.

Post by Brent K. » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:03 am

I have had many crazy fears too, I used to have a fear of going over bridges because I thought when I got to the other side they might colapse and I wouldn't be able to get home. I used to lay awake at night trying to figure out the meaning of everything, I still don't understand the concept of god, I guess I think of him the same as I do santa, it just doesn't make sense to me!

sherry2010

Post by sherry2010 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:26 pm

Brent, that's a good comparison! I'm guessing part of our personality is that things have to make sense to us? I find I get really frustrated if something doesn't make sense! Even if I can't understand the lyrics of a song on the radio I find myself frustrated.
I'm not sure why, but I've found that I've been a lot more spiritual since I've started the program; maybe partly b/c I think believing in God is comforting?

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”