it worked in the shower so why?

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.
DEB EMENHISER

Post by DEB EMENHISER » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:30 am

I TRIED DISTRACTING MYSELF IN THE SHOWER BECAUSE I HAD ANXIETY AND A PANIC ATTACK THERE. IT IS DAY 5 AND I HAVE NO MORE ANXIETY IN THE SHOWER. SO I TRIED THE SDME THING AT A RESTRAUNT AND IT DIDN'T WORK. WHY?

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:28 am

Hi Deb,
I would guess the reason the distraction did not work in the restaurant is because there were people there and one of our fears is that we will have a panic attack in public and embarrass ourselves. Don't know how far you are in the program but I promise you if you do it, you will get better. I have even been able to go the store alone since beginning the program and with none or almost no anxiety. Stick with it and post here whenever you want/need support.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:54 am

THANKS FOR THE INPUY. I JUST GOT THE PROGRAM FRIDAY AND AM FIGHTING THE URGE TO DO IT ALL AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. WHAT SHOULD I DO BTWEEN LESSONS?

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:46 am

RELAX ;) lol

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:47 am

DEB,
Do you think it could be that you were more selfconsious about the panic attack happening at the restaurant in the first place. Possibly you were anticipating it and were trying really hard to squelch it and that actually brought it on. I believe you possibly had a fear of it happening at the restaurant and so by trying harder to have it not happen it happened. It is the fear of the anxiety or panic attack that brings it on and never is the situation. So it would not matter if you are in the shower or sitting at a restaurant. It really is a two steps backward one step forward at the begining but once you have the momentum (and it sounds like you are just about there) it is a four step forward one step backward process etc.. But after you have gotten really good at not necessarily distraction but the ability to talk yourself down and say things like "It's no big deal, it's just anxiety, it will go away". "So what if I'm anxious I am out with friends and this is kind of new to me it's okay to be anxious I will just let it happen and float with it". So that you do not get into a panic state or even a high anxiety state then pretty soon the anxiety just will not come because you will not fear it anymore. And then if you tried to bring on a panic attack as hard as you could you would not be able to. That I believe is when you know the true healing is begining.
Just a couple of thoughts and ideas, hope it helps some.
Actually it sounds more to me like you just about have it mastered.
Last edited by not on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”