Humor need for anxious thought

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.
Mamma Maria

Post by Mamma Maria » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:45 am

Can u help? I have the same thought over and over. I am always worried that I will hurt one of my patients-give the wrong medicine, the wrong, dose, misdiagnose their condition. I am trying to turn this into a humor scenario (an excise from Linda's book). PLease help. This site has been a God send...especially when I am unable to find chocolate covered expresso beans.
Thanks for being there or here :)

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:52 am

Hi There-

I'm also reading the book and it's great. Don't forget, chocolate and coffee (espresso) are supposed to be part of your exercise to get rid of too (LOL - I know, I struggle with them too - it's harder than I thought). *sigh*

I was trying to help you find a funny way of getting passed this scary thought. What about the one she mentions for people overdosing on pills - turning them into jelly beans. And, what about "killing them with laughter or kindness". I know that isn't "funny - ha ha", but it is a twist. I like plays on words and I know there are ways of using laughter as part of medicine.

I think that the point is to make light of the anxious thoughts so that you can see that they are simply thoughts and not serious problems. You aren't going to hurt a patient or do anything to harm them, you are a compasionate person with a very obvious sense of loyalty and concern (or you wouldn't have asked for help).

Good luck and I wish you great success. -J

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:54 am

I am sure you are a very competent person or you would not have made it to where you are now in your profession. I know it's common for us to be scatterbrained when we are stressed. Try to get enough sleep, relax, and take good care of yourself so that you can take good care of others.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:43 pm

Have you ever watched the TV show House? He's always wrong a few times before he's right. He's given the wrong meds out. Anyway, if you're familiar with the show, you know what I mean. I was picturing you pretending you were House.
I thought it was funny. Of course if you've never seen the show you won't get it.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:12 am

Great ideas. I do watch house and that's kind of along the lines of my profession. I wish I could be that obnoxious sometimes. I try some of the ideas.

Dsrtdwllr

Post by Dsrtdwllr » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:03 am

I too work with patients but not of the human kind, unfortunetly if they could only talk it would be scary. With our oath to due no harm, keep that in the back and remember that your only human and even robots make mistakes, computer crash and then eventually rebot. With out laughter it's this world would be a very dread full place look at house he makes mistakes yet keeps all pushing for better results. Reach out consult and if all else fails go with it.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Dr. Doctor: Nurse Mamma Mia..
Nurse Maria: That's Mamma Maria.
Dr. Doctor: Oh sorry. Anyway, Nurse Mamma, it says here you gave the patient 5 gallons of liquid highway.
Nurse Maria: That is true Dr. Doctor.
Dr. Doctor: This is bad, very bad. The hospital switched to Starbuck's yesterday. We'll have to operate immediately. Call the OR and have them prep for an emergency coffee-ecotostomollogy. And order 1000 donuts. This could take a while.

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”