You Know You Have Panic Disorder When...

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.
jillzmind

Post by jillzmind » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:24 pm

Originally posted by FixingMyBrokenSmile:
You Know You Have Panic Disorder When...

-You look for the nearest escape route everywhere you go.

-You wonder if anyone would notice if you locked yourself in the bathroom at your own party.

-You carry an industrial size bottle of hand sanitizer with you wherever you go.

-You have to mentally prep yourself for three days before going to pick up milk at the grocery store.

-You envy your pets because they don't have to leave the house.

-Immediately upon waking you check to make sure every part of your body feels normal. If your toe hurts you panic for the rest of the day and call in sick.

-You're pretty sure the receptionist at your doctor's office hates you.

-You sit at work and write lists because your anxiety has wreaked havoc on your concentration and you're pretty sure you have ADD now too.

-You leave a cart full of groceries because the check out line is too long.

-You let your hair grow ridiculously long because you're sure awful things will happen if you sit in that chair.

-You suffer through horrible headaches because you're sure that if you take a painkiller it will kill you.

-When you do take a pill, any pill, you cut it in half, and sometimes in quarters, just to make sure you're not taking too much.

-When someone's talking to you, they have no idea that while you're looking at them and nodding, you're not hearing one word they're saying because all you can think of is "how do I get out of here?"

-You take a shower and do your hair because you don't want the paramedics who are going to pick up your dead body to comment that you smell and look awful.

-You read this thread and nod knowingly.

Feel free to add to this list if you like. :D
Had to bump this to the top! It's priceless :D

Russ K

Post by Russ K » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:13 am

Jill,

Those are great! Maybe I can add a few if I think about it, but they'll be pretty hard to top. I wasn't nodding but I sure know where you're coming from. Particularly locking yourself in the bathroom at a party. I've been using bathrooms as a "safe zone" for years, can you say desperate? Glad to know others have resorted to it as well. Leaving a long checkout line "post haste" is another one that really hit home! Also in the middle of a conversation, the thought bubble "How do I get out of here"!

Boy, what a bunch of bananas we are! LOL!

Thanks
`
Last edited by Russ K on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linda Haley

Post by Linda Haley » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:15 am

You do not want to cross a bridge you think it is going to fall in so you take the long way around.

Robert perrette

Post by Robert perrette » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:24 pm

when you wash your hands before you wash your hands,before you wash your hands.your right laughter is the best medicine.keep posting people.

Sylvie Dominique

Post by Sylvie Dominique » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:34 pm

I can also relate to many of these~
One that I constantly battle is accepting invitations to social events (not even talking dating...can't even go there) just going to a party. Often I pray real hard that something will happen so I don't have to go..even though I know it would be good for me and often, guess what, something does usually come up!!

Christina1982

Post by Christina1982 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:51 pm

...When someone's talking to you, they have no idea that while you're looking at them and nodding, you're not hearing one word they're saying because all you can think of is "how do I get out of here?"

OMG - this just happened to me today with my boss. i can definitely relate to most of these. CLASSIC...thanks for the laugh

mrsunderstood

Post by mrsunderstood » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:05 am

When you are in the bathroom and you are afraid to look at yourself in the mirror because you are afraid you will see something that will freak you out like your color is not right or a rash.

Suzie1202

Post by Suzie1202 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:12 am

Ok I know this was supposed to make me laugh - it did, but I also teared up a little cause its nice to know I am not alone. The one about showering so you will look good for the paramedics is SO me. I do my hair and put on makeup and I think "I don't want my hair to look all oily if I die." What a sad and negative thought!!

jillzmind

Post by jillzmind » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:32 pm

I know that we tend to take ourselves
waaaaayyyyy to serious and these things make me laugh at the absurdity of some of the things I have said and done.
Hey it might just be a "girl" thing too. My Mom always put on lipstick just to take out trash and check the mail.She always wanted to look nice. Nothing wrong with that.
;)

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:27 am

I didn't read all of these, so this one might be a repeat.

When you keep Imodium AM, Homeopathic Tinctures, Rescue Remedy Flower Extracts, and the program program cards on your person at all times.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”