You Know You Have Panic Disorder When...

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.
FixingMyBrokenSmile

Post by FixingMyBrokenSmile » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:38 am

You Know You Have Panic Disorder When...

-You look for the nearest escape route everywhere you go.

-You wonder if anyone would notice if you locked yourself in the bathroom at your own party.

-You carry an industrial size bottle of hand sanitizer with you wherever you go.

-You have to mentally prep yourself for three days before going to pick up milk at the grocery store.

-You envy your pets because they don't have to leave the house.

-Immediately upon waking you check to make sure every part of your body feels normal. If your toe hurts you panic for the rest of the day and call in sick.

-You're pretty sure the receptionist at your doctor's office hates you.

-You sit at work and write lists because your anxiety has wreaked havoc on your concentration and you're pretty sure you have ADD now too.

-You leave a cart full of groceries because the check out line is too long.

-You let your hair grow ridiculously long because you're sure awful things will happen if you sit in that chair.

-You suffer through horrible headaches because you're sure that if you take a painkiller it will kill you.

-When you do take a pill, any pill, you cut it in half, and sometimes in quarters, just to make sure you're not taking too much.

-When someone's talking to you, they have no idea that while you're looking at them and nodding, you're not hearing one word they're saying because all you can think of is "how do I get out of here?"

-You take a shower and do your hair because you don't want the paramedics who are going to pick up your dead body to comment that you smell and look awful.

-You read this thread and nod knowingly.

Feel free to add to this list if you like. :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jiggsy

Post by Jiggsy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:16 am

LOL... I needed that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the post :)

Upwinger

Post by Upwinger » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:29 am

Right on! The paramedic thing freaked me out...I do that all the time. haha.

Doughboy

Post by Doughboy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:13 am

OMG, I am guilty of quite a few of those! I look at my cats every morning and wish I was them because they never have to get out of bed. I've left the store several times because of long lines.
"There may not be a second chance"

feel_no_more

Post by feel_no_more » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:32 am

Is That Bad, That I Can Relate To Too Many Of Those. EESSHHH didnt even realize, but i do check all exits when i go sumwhere i havent been. ugh

Doughboy

Post by Doughboy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:34 am

Originally posted by feel_no_more:
Is That Bad, That I Can Relate To Too Many Of Those. EESSHHH didnt even realize, but i do check all exits when i go sumwhere i havent been. ugh
I check all exists when I go somewhere I've been a million times before! LOL!
"There may not be a second chance"

enngirl5

Post by enngirl5 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:05 am

-You take a shower and do your hair because you don't want the paramedics who are going to pick up your dead body to comment that you smell and look awful.

I used to do that all the time! When my panic disorder first started I would buy all these nice pajamas so just in case I "went crazy" and had to go to the mental ward, I would look nice! My best friend used to ask me why do you always buy pajamas. I said well if I'm gonna be housebound, I may as well look nice!

crayzikat

Post by crayzikat » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:05 am

-When you do take a pill, any pill, you cut it in half, and sometimes in quarters, just to make sure you're not taking too much.
OK, I just did this last night. I cut the lowest dosage of clonazipam in half and still sat and looked at it contemplatively for a half hour before taking it! :D

Kat (the crayzi one)

Healing In Process

Post by Healing In Process » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:49 am

I too am guilty of this.

Also, you know you have panic disorder, when you constantly check your pulse to make sure you are still alive and are not dying from a heart attack.
Keep on, keeping on...

Jennafromva

Post by Jennafromva » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:34 am

Wow. Now I really know that I belong here. The sad thing is that I was too depressed to even get in the shower. Atleast I can now and can quit worrying about when the paramedics do finally get me. Well, hopefully I won't see that happen. Nina, do you have a counselor or someone you can talk to? I am worried about you. Please reach out somewhere for help. I know how hard that can be to do. Don't let this keep you from getting better. I know that if I can you can too. I hit rock bottom in Feb of 06 when I just couldn't get out of bed and work anymore. You are not alone. I have found the program helpful, yet I also know I need medication to normalize me. God bless you and let us know if we can help at all.
Thanks for the post FixingMyBrokenSmile.
Last edited by Jennafromva on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”