There is humor for all of our kind

Somtimes it helps just to laugh.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:35 am

I hope I did this right too (Crisis Center)

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:29 am

Yes, Freemont is a special place. It's a neighborhood of Seattle where things are, well, a little different. First, it's the "self proclaimed center of the Universe". I'm not sure how they figured that one out, but since I don't really know where the actual center of the Universe is, who am I to argue?

Then there's the Freemont Troll. It's a big concrete sculpture that sits under the north end of the Aurora Bridge. Do a Google image search. It's pretty odd, especially the VW Bug it's holding.

Also there's the Freemont Summer Soltice Parade. So if you think Seattle is liberal, Fremont makes it look down right Puritan. The parade always starts with the naked bike riders. These people strip down to their birthday suits and then paint themselves up, sometimes abstractly, sometimes like their wearing something. I still don't know why they don't get arrested for public nudity.

Thankfully, I don't live in Freemont, I just visit now and then to check my sanity. If I still think the area is a bit odd, I know I'm OK, LOL!

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:49 am

Note to self: stay away from Fremont, especially during Summer Solstice Parade!!!!!
:eek: :o

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:13 am

And I thought the briefcase race was different. I googled the Freemont Troll. I think I found a new screensaver ! LOL That's one ugly sculpture. As for the naked bike race.....I sure hope no one falls off. It's bad enough getting your foot caught in the spokes. yikes ! the pain....... I don't think that paint makes for very good protection against road burn ! LOL

I think the briefcase race sounds a bit safer. At least you can wear a suit jacket.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:16 am

Jill -

Freemont is pretty safe, but yes, there area can be not so fun for the faint of heart! There's some neat stores, a weekly farmers market, and a cool flea market. Just avoid weekends around June 21 and you should be OK!

Music -

I have to agree with your artistic assessment; it is one ugly piece of "art". As for the naked bike riders, falling would be a disaster for sure. I've only gone to the parade twice in all the time I've lived in the Seattle area. Although some riders can be pretty disturbing, some of the paint jobs on the bike riders are amazing. In some cases you would think they were wearing clothes until you take a closer look.

As for your advice, I think I will stick with the briefcase relay. The parade isn't much my thing. It's just one of those local event you just have to attend once or twice just to say you did it.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:57 am

I guess that their unofficial motto is "Freedom To Be Peculiar"......THAT'S the word I was looking for ! LOL Wikipedia has a picture of the race. Quite colourful...and peculiar.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:08 pm

I've also heard that Washington is quite a rainy state ! I hope they use a paint that stays a while LOL

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:50 pm

new note to self: Avoid the Fremont Summer solstice naked parade should I ever get to WA.

;)

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:38 pm

Music -

Actually it's really more overcast than rainy. We do get our fair share of rain, but it's the gray skies all the time that's the problem. However, when the sun comes out, it's absolutely beautiful here. Also, the rain is mostly a western Washington thing. The Cascade Mountains run roughly down the middle of the state and are the cause of most of the rain in Seattle. The eastern side of the state is actually quite dry. In some places, is very desert-like!

Jilly -

It's okay, there are many other places in and around the Seattle area where everyone stays fully dressed. We can avoid Freemont when you drop by on your next visit, lol!

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:52 am

One day I'll travel to the west coast. A few months ago I finally got a passport ! It's collecting dust somewhere in the house. 3 places I really want to go (outside of Canada)

1) Australia
2) Iceland (why, I don't know - maybe I prefer the cold)
3) California

But for now, I'll be content travelling the rest of Canada province by province and territory by territory.

Return to “Humor for Anxiety”