Obsessive thought into Humorous thought

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Thank you Donna for your post. I have been in that stage awhile ago and i know what thats like and it just really sucks. I wouldn't say that loneliness is as much of a problem. I mean I can still feel lonely but I still hangout with my friends and such.

My issue is that i want to move back into the city and away from the country because it is so boring and there is nothing to do. I'm just concerned that i won't be able to find a place due to my current circumstances.

Shifrah,
Are you saying that i should picture myself doing those tricks when i've schedualled a meeting to see an apartment and i'm knocking at their door?

Mike

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:55 am

ah ok i got it for the place finding.

Place #1 I get shown around by scobydoo. One room has a closet going to Narnia, there's also a room of jello and another room made completely of cheese but of course since i'm lactose intolerant, that's just not going to work for me.

Place #2 I'm being lead around by one of the 3 pigs and this place is made of straw. He goes to show me around but the wolf blows it down.

Place #3 This place is made of bacon and twist ties. I walk in and i'm being shown the place by a nice lady. She is a bit paranoid though. She warns me to stay away from the fridge as it may fall on me, and away from the stove as it might spontaneously combust. She also warns me to stay away from the creeky floor boards as they might break and I'd fall through and possibly get impaled. I think i've found my perfect place!

Mike

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:35 am

Obsessive scary thought: I will become fat because I sometimes can't control binge eating. My health, looks, and friends, my job will all be lost. I'll have a heart attack and no one will love me. I might as well just die.

Humorous replacement: I'm going to imagine myself expanding so big that I achieve liftoff- floating off the ground like the blueberry girl in Wonka story. People will run along the ground underneath me, jumping up and holding sticks for me to grab onto. But I'll keep going up and up... and end up making a cameo appearance in a National Geographic special on migratory birds. I'll wave at the camera and say "Hi mom!"

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Distressing/ stressful thought:
When I make my cardio dance class video Sunday I'll forget the choreography and my cueing will be awkward. I won't pass, no one at the gym will like me, I won't be able to teach anymore, I won't have an exercise or social outlet.

Humorous thought: I'll imagine that I submit a video of me playing patty-cake with the class participants in a sandbox, where we will find hidden fossilized turds and run out of the sandbox, doing the "hot pavement" dance since we don't have shoes on and its 95 degrees. the company loves the video so much that I become the new patty caking with poop teacher.

It's amazing how the scary obsessive thoughts are like a train derailing totally out of control or like a storm that builds into a "Hopeless Hurricane" as Lucinda calls it in her book. I'm finding that I'm VERY good at following the thought down to see how scary it gets and terrifying myself, which leads to exhaustion which leaves nothing left for facing real issues.

Dawnsky

Re: Obsessive thought into Humorous thought

Post by Dawnsky » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:50 am

LOLOLOL!!! I'm gonna try that! This is an awesome way of showing yourself that the original thought was probably kind of silly too. Thanks again! :lol:

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”