Scary News on TV -need some help

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
crashdog

Post by crashdog » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:12 am

Hello Everyone, On Tv I saw a story about a normal woman wife,mother, etc who developed episodes where she would have harmed her family and the cure for this for her was electroshock therapy and now she is cured. that started days of what if thinking for me since this sort of story is my greatest fear. My panic attacks are always caused by and begin with dp/dr so all i can think now is this how it starts? To make matters worse I just read another story of a UFC fighter who almost harmed several people in a police car chase brought on by his doctor calling it psychosis caused by stress and here I go again. I know anxiety is stress but these stories have ruined my coping skills. I appreciate any advice what is the difference between these cases and anxiety? I am terrified these cases are what happens over time. Please correct me

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:36 am

Crashdog, when I watch some of these scary programs and they make me feel bad I try not to watch the scary stories anymore. I try to watch and read uplifting things. I remember the story of one of the ladies on one of the tapes in Lucinda's program that said she would always wait for her husband to come home from work so he could help bathe one of their children because she was afraid of hurting them. This stuff makes us feel and think about scary stuff but it is not true. It is only anxiety. When you have scary or fearful thoughts, do the breathing exercises and fill your mind with comforting thoughts. Also, what helps me is to read a book with positive affirmations. And, also try to remember that our recovery is gradual. I hope this helps. We can do it!!

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:55 am

crashdog,

I have suffered this for some time. Watching news items is not a good option for me. I avoid it. There will be a time when you can watch it again, but you are too sensitized to the whole process right now. Stay away from it for a while. You are a sensitive person with alot of feelings. What we suffer from is a thing called "Pure O" It is really a bad habit like Lucinda says. It's driven by our lack of love for ourselves. Some suggestions for breaking the habit are to get involved with a project that you can really feel good about. Get totally absorbed in it and you will see, that the anxiety you felt about these news stories etc, will disappear.

We have also started a daily newsletter for Pure O" ers via this web site. If you are interested, simply PM me.

Zoe
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

dj63

Post by dj63 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:07 am

Crashdog, I avoid watching anything scary in the news or on the media. I think people with anxiety are so impressionable and we hear something scary or horrible and then obesses over could I ever do that.

Remeber it's just anxiety. Use your skills and breath your way through it. take care and God bless

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:57 pm

Those people were really psycho before that. LOL
If you have anxiety thats all you have. Its really small compared to some peoples problems.
When you think your life sucks look around,somebody elses sucks way worse. I have had panic attacks for 20+ yrs. I haven`t killed anyone yet and doubt that I will. Neither will you. :D

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:01 pm

By the way WHO said she was Normal before that.
What is the definition of normal?
And who decided she was cured?
Ive been to shrinks that didnt have much sense.
Think abouit it!

antiosamz

Re: Scary News on TV -need some help

Post by antiosamz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:47 am

Could you tell me more … I would love to explore.

samaa tv

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”