Unreality/Anxiety

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
nervousfoot

Post by nervousfoot » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:12 am

I've been bothered by anxiety off and on for over 30 years. Some of the episodes are quick lasting about a month. The more difficult ones linger on a bit longer.

I recently had an episode about a month ago after a stressfull period. It slowly came on and I tried to catch it by increasing my Paxil dosage (I was just about off the Paxil).

Instead of panic attacks I started getting the unreality symtoms. Its been hell the past couple of weeks going to work and trying to rest when I get home. The whole unreality thing really kicks you where it hurts. I start looking at the world around me in a whole new different way. It is scary. My thoughts scare the hell out of me too. I worry about dying, going insane, suffering from depression, hurting myself and others. The whole cycle sucks.

I am usually a positive person but when I get stuck in this pattern, I can't think positive about anything. Everything scares me.

I basically force myself to get out of the house. The other night I had to drive up to college with my daughter. We weren't 5 miles from our house and I felt panic setting in. i was ready to tell her to turn around before I caught myself and clamed down. The remainder of the trip was actually relaxing. But later, the unreal thoughts began again.

I know I beat this before but everytime it happens its new again and a struggle. I have knots in my belly, pins and needles on my arms and legs and I am afraid I'll lose it.

Anyone ever feel like this for a period of time? I am not as bad as I was last week. Maybe the Paxil is kicking in.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:56 am

Yup, unreality is one of my worst symptoms! In those periods I feel very detached and as if I am just going to go crazy! I have been under an extraordinary amount of stress and it has kicked into full gear!! Just try to float and calm your thoughts during those times. It is very very hard and trying to get through this.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”