Obsessive about Pins and Plate in foot

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
sempercat

Post by sempercat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:22 am

Hi, everyone!
I just had surgery on my right foot and they put pins and a plate inside my heel because it was crushed when I was involved in a auto accident. I keep obsessive about the pins and plate since they are now in my body and I can't take them out....
I know this is an irrational fear and I keep telling myself that they are there to help me so that I can walk pain free.
I must also add that I have been with The Program for several years, about 15, and it has helped me tremendously when I am expreiencing depressive/anxiety episodes my life.

After the accident I couldn't put weight on either of my feet and have to rely on my nurses to help me get around. So I was fully functional loved to drive, been busy, etc. and now I am limited to a wheelchair. Luckily in the next few weeks I will "graduate" to a walker or crutches.I am home most of the time since I can't drive, walk, etc. and these thoughts occur constantly. If I was working and active I don't think they will occur so frequently.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!! :D

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi sempercat..It sounds like the reason your having all of this anxiety and obsessive thought is a control thing. You can't control the pins being in your foot, you can't control when they come out, you can't control having to have help and being in a wheelchair etc...Sound about right? :) The obsessive scary thought are seem like they are coming from all of these things. To much time on your hands equals entirely tooooo much thinking and because of the way you feel much of it is negative. I'm with you in the fact that when you are a little more mobile the thought won't be as much of a problem. Do you like word puzzles or jigsaw puzzles, reading maybe. I find that when my brain is being overactive that if I play the playstaion it helps take my mind away from itself. These things might keep your brain focused on something else besides negative thoughts. Most important though do your best to keep positive!!! Feel better soon and best wishes.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:43 am

Thanks for the input, Deener!
You are right that issues of control seem to be the problem. Right now I am looking for an adult day care to get me out of the house, plus I enrolled in coaching here at StressCenter recently plus I called my therapist to help me thru this....It is hard not to ruminate about this all day when you are stuck inside.
I am also taking meds for anxiety and depression. Do you think I am doing the right things?? Thanks for your input!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:07 am

Hi sempercat...If all of these things feel right for you then you are doing the right thing. I do believe that getting out of the house will help you to feel more confident and less negative. Instead of focusing on the fact that as of right now, you may not be the most independent, focus on the fact that you are still in control of your thoughts at least. Focus on the little improvements you make each day and think of the reward of being able to get out on your own again soon. I have been through the program alone once and as of tomorrow will be finished with the personal coaching program. I can only tell you wonderful things about it sempercat. You seem very aware of what is really behind your anxiety and that is a great thing. I really hope this all works out for you and your up and about on your own again soon. Deanna

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”