How to cope with news items. Suggestions?

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Zoe_M

Post by Zoe_M » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:18 am

Greetings all,

I have suffered from the "scary thoughts" issues and have been fairly good over the past 6 months or so. I try to not let a lot of the news stories into my life, but when at work, I hear people talking about the latest news stories.

They often say, "look at this person, they did something and they get off pleading they were mentally ill"

That last term sends the bone chilling fear into my soul. I always say, "wow, what if that was me etc... what if they knew I suffered from scary thoughts, would I lose my job, would people think bad of me. " It starts a cycle within me.

For those that have suffered from this and have successfully overcome the fear, do you still respond to news items that link problems to mental illness?

I am hoping this thread can help establish the difference between "mental illness" and anxiety and obsessive thoughts.

Any advice would be welcome.

Zoe

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:35 am

Hi Zoe,
I don't know if this ever goes away completely but I do know that it does gets better. One of the things that you can do is practice allowing the adrenalin to pass right through you. Use your breath to guide you.

You read something in a magazine, or hear something on the tv or a friend or coworker says something and all of a sudden you notice that first squirt of adrenalin. DO NOT RUN. Stay with it and make it ok to be there. (Oh, hell-o. I've been wondering when you'd show yourself.) Breathe in. Hold for four. Breathe out slowly. (Doesn't matter who sees you do this.) Tell yourself it's OK to feel this. Then keep busy with something in the present moment and do your best to keep your focus on what you are doing. Focus on your breath if you like. Remind yourself that this is just from fear and fear is never real.

Always allow. You'll find these feelings passing quickly instead of lingering on. Practice makes this an easy thing to do. Understand that you do not have to entertain any thought at all.

"This has nothing to do with me." Remember to focus on your breath and to keep busy, paying attention to what you are doing in the present moment.

Another thing to help is to remind yourself that "you do not have a history" of such and such. "I have never done this kind of thing and that is evidence that I never will." Trust yourself, Zoe, and with practice you will.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”