hit a bump!!!

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:59 pm

I felt the same way when I was pregnant with #2 and #3, but it was all anticipation! Once I started going into labor, I concentrated on that more than the fear of it.

It's a good idea to distract yourself, do some kind of walking or working out or maybe some kind of project to get ready for the baby's arrival.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

1blessedg

Post by 1blessedg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:11 pm

hi shifrah,

just curious did you have any post part depression?

thanks for the advice! what kind of things did you find helpful to distract you during and after labor?

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:55 pm

You know, I think I may have dealt with some kind of mild depression all my life, but I don't remember having any postpartum depression.

The thing I was concentrating on with labor was breathing through the contractions, it was deep stomach breathing very similar to what the program suggests to get over an anxiety attack.

After labor I was pretty spent and exhausted so I didn't do much to distract!

I'd suggest looking into diet as well, watching the stimulants like salts, spices, caffeine, refined sugars and too much fat in the diet.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

1blessedg

Post by 1blessedg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:41 am

thank you so much :) i've been getting some contractions today, but it's not time yet. i'm feeling a bit more confident about the delivery. my therapist actually offered to be there for delivery along with my mom, boyfriend, and sister. i feel so blessed to have so much support. i was very surprised that my therapist offered to be there. i thnk that the more support the better.

i'm really not trying to focus so much on the postpartum depression. i started scaring myself when i was ready a pregnancy book and thought that i was just gonna end up having it. i know that was the anxiety kicking in. it sounds so silly but that's just what i convinced myself was my destiny.

after delivery i will sure keep the diet in mind. i have gained a lot of weight the last trimester which i am determined to lose after she comes. i try not to stress too much right now about the weight causse it actually had got so depressed during the second trimeseter that i was loosing so too much weight. my drs. were not very happy bout that. i eventually gained the weight and then some back.

thanks again.

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:02 pm

With my third pregnancy I gained a ridculous amount of weight, it was pretty bad.

In retrospect I know it was because I was eating very little fresh fruits and veggies and a ton of empty calorie foods like cereals, breads and so on. They offer so little nutrition that I would keep eating and eating and never be fulfilled, but I was *fat*.

I also got pretty constipated, so I'd suggest eating as much fresh food and water to get your fiber and hydration, that is so important!

You will do great, it's good you are getting contractions early, your body is preparing you, it knows exactly what to do!

Also the anxiety could really be excitement because the symptoms are so similar. Why not tell yourself you are excited over and over, every day!
Shif.

1blessedg

Post by 1blessedg » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:02 pm

things have been going pretty good. i feel like i have the anxiety under control for the most part. i still do srtuggle with my "clear days." i can still wake up in the morning and be a bit on edge wondering if i'm gonna slip today. i then after praying am able to tell myself it's up to me. you can either worry about how the day is gonna go or just tell myself that i am gonna have a good day and i am in control.

i wonder if that day will come when i don't have to reassure myself that everything's ok. i feel like i am at a good place cause i am not having those scary thoughts so much and when they come i can for the most part not let them ruin my day. i gotta admit that i am still scared at times of the thoughts and worry that i won't be strong one day and that i'll let them take over. i know i really need to work on my self esteem. i think that this sometimes really holds me back. learning to love yourself is such a hard thing!!!!

i am hopeful that i will recover from this nightmare.... i read the sucess stories and get excited and at the same time i question if that can really be me. i am so determined to kick this thing for GOD and my children. i want to enjoy my life not waste it living in fear. i truly belive that GOD has given a second chance at life. i survived cancer!!!!! i don't want to live my life being afraid to do anything that i want.

berengar

Post by berengar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:33 am

I am so proud of you...I can definitely see changes in your attitude (at least through your messages), and that is definitely the first step!

Last night I started feeling a little spacey as I was trying to fall asleep. I was tempted to think 'oh no, what if it's coming back and I have scary thoughts and can't sleep and then have a bad day tomorrow'. But then I just forced myself to replace that with 'I am very tired and I have a lot to do tomorrow, so of course I feel a little nervous. It's just mild anxiety and instead of distracting myself with scary thoughts, I am going to float through this and let myself fall asleep'. It worked!

Although I am nearly 'recovered' I am seeing that I still have anxious times and that I will always need to be aware of my tendancy to over-react. The more you practice the better you get at stopping these thoughts the moment they start, instead of the 'old way' of letting yourself over-react to the body feelings that result from bad thoughts.

Keep practicing and please never ever let minor setbacks get you down because they happen to all of us. Setbacks (even in the form of a passing thought) are necessary for recovery because you learn from them. And every time you come out of it sooner than the time before!

1blessedg

Post by 1blessedg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:20 pm

thanks! i have been working hard on being positive. i had spent so many years being such a negative person that all it did was drain me. it just takes so much energy being negative. my own family had a hard time being around me.

i have been dealing with a lot of stress in my relationship recently. my boyfriend is addicted to pills. he uses and then will stop. well, the past month or so he has been using again. i just don't need that added stress in my life right now. when i first was diagnosed with panic disorder that had become one of my many fears PILLS. in the past i too had addiction problems with pills, pakalolo, (pot)and beer. when the anxiety started i stopped all of that because i was scared that all of it was gonna kill me. especially the pills. i would look up side effects and automatically think that i was gonna have them. even though i am on my way to recovery i still fear pills. the thing is he knows how i feel about pills and how i worry that he takes too much or that he is mixing the wrong ones and i worry that something is gonna happen to him. it just upsets me so much because i am trying really hard to get through the anxiety i work so hard at getting control of it. our baby is due anytime now and i just can't believe i am going through this.

my exhusband became an ice addict right after my son was born. i tried to stick it out for 4 years hoping that he would get help and change, but he didn't. i feel like it's happening once again in my life. it's so hard. i am trying really hard to stay strong and to keep moving forward. this is suppose to be a happy time in my life. i spent much of my pregnancy suffering with anxiety that i was not able to enjoy the blessing that GOD had given me. now it's so close to my due date and i was finally starting to feel the excitement. then now i'm hit with this problem.

i need some help and reassurance that i will make it through this and that this will not break me. anyone have any suggestions?

berengar

Post by berengar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:43 am

Wow, you have a lot weighing on you right now. It's easy to see why you have been distracting yourself with fear and anxiety. It's so hard when you're in a relationship and your significant other starts to exhibit the same behavior from a previously failed relationship. My boyfriend is definitely addicted to smokes and alcohol and I sometime wonder if he will ever stop. It is such destructive behavior.

Your bf is using these addictive behaviors as a coping mechanism. If he is anything like my boyfriend he won't like being called out on it... my boyfriend (Mike) doesn't like 'soft' terms like coping, feeling, etc. However, since I started opening up to him about my problems and recovery he has started to see that these aren't just girly things. I explained to him that we all have different coping methods for stress, and that mine was to distract myself with the most fright-provoking thoughts and anxiety imaginable. He actually began to understand that he uses these chemicals to distract himself when something is on his mind. It really hit him when he tried to quit smoking and realized he was having more cravings when he was stressed from school or work, and it wasn't necessarily a strong nicotine addiction.

I know it's so easy for someone else to say, but I think you need to just be open with him and explain your exact concerns. Have you talked to him and involved him in your own recovery? It took me months to get truly healthy relationship with my boyfriend... he had never opened up to anyone before and didn't realize how much better it makes you feel to talk about what's on your mind on a daily basis.

You WILL get through this, I am certain of that. My advice comes from my own personal experience, and all I can suggest is that you work daily at talking to him and asking him to open up to you. Tell him you want to be partners and help each other through everything. Involve him in your recovery as much as possible and let him know how much you need him as you bring another child into the world.

Getting each other to open up takes practice and work. Sometimes, if I've had a bad or busy day I am too exhausted to want to talk to Mike. But I've seen that this can become an easy habit... once I take the time to talk to him when I get home I always feel better.

Keep working on your recovery, because ultimately you want to be strong and healthy for the baby. You can't take care of anyone else until you first take care of yourself.

1blessedg

Post by 1blessedg » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:12 pm

yeah i have a lot going on. i try not to let the stress become anxiety. it gets a bit difficult at times.

i know i do push him away when i am going through the anxiety. i really don't mean too. i just get so caught up on trying to get control of it all of my time is spent on the anxiety. he does want me to talk with him about the anxiety, but i have such a hard time. he wants me to go into detail about the scary thoughts and all i want to do not think of them. i go to therapy weekly and journal daily. i do release my thouhts. i just don't tell him everything.

i talk to him and ask if there is anything i can do to help him. he will let me know when things are bothering him. he says that he sometimes just enjoys taking it. he doesn't always know why he takes them. i let him know that i am here for him, but at the same time i can feel myself drifting and becoming a little cold. i really don't like these feelings.

i do want to make it work so i will take your advice and start to build our realationship back up. more communicating!!!

thanks for the advice and sharing your own experience with me. i will work hard at making it through this because i have no other choice. my kids need me.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”