Anxiety Attacks/Episodes

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
nervousfoot

Post by nervousfoot » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:45 am

I have had trouble with anxiety on and off for over 36 years. My first panic experience happened when I was 10 or 11, shortly after my grandmother died.
My first real attack came when I was 20. I struggled for a while with crazy thoughts and things looking scary to me. I eventually got over it. about seven years after that I had another attack. Bad enough that I went to seek help. This was in 1980 when much wasn't known about anxiety and stress.
The thing I can truely say about my anxiety is that it hits during stressful periods. I haven't had an attack in 6 years. But recently, after a job change and some other stressors, I had an attack. I am struggling with the whole feeling of unreality thing and going crazy thoughts. Is there someone out there that struggles from time to time that could offer comfort? The unreality thing is the hardest part of dealing with this condition. These episodes usually last about a month for me.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:29 am

As I look back in my life, my anxiety always comes at time of change. My first panic attack was when I was going from junior high to high school and then at every major event thereafter. I just recently got married ( major panic atacks) and am now moving and I have been worse then ever!! Times of change can be both a positive and negative and unfortunately our body even misinterprets the positive to feel the same as a negative. Yes, it i quite common!! And the unreality thing---yeah--right there with you!! Just keep saying they are only thoughts! Good luck!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”