Cervical cancer

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
tamarariley

Post by tamarariley » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:42 am

Hi everyone
Well, I was really hoping not to be back here again but it seems every few years, I just need to freak myself out in some way.
My husbands' ex just had a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer. The sad part is that I have not been for a pap in 5 years. My last test came back with abnormal cells but then when I went back, it was all good and no bad cells. Great relief but it scared me and I haven't been back since. Now she has been diagnosed and had it and now I am obsessing that I do too. She is a smoker in poor health and I am a non smoker which I have researched and apparantely makes a HUGE difference. I eat right and have always had perfect health. I work with women who always say...."you create what you think" that has me freaked out even more because as you obessessive thinkers know, I can't stop thinking about it. I have a doctors' appointment in 3 weeks to get my check up but it's the What If's that are killing me. I just keep freaking myself out by saying that since my husband's ex had it, I must have it. Even though I know it is the slowest growing cancer and worst case scenario would probably be a hysterectomy for me too, how can I stop worrying about this. I imagine myself only having a few years left to live and how I will really freak out if she calls with bad news even though last time the bad news turned out to be nothing.
Any tips from anyone? I sure would appreciate some encouragement on this.
thanks all, I am here to help anyone else who needs it too. It's nice to have somewhere with like minded people to vent to.

nervousfoot

Post by nervousfoot » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:54 am

Tamarariley,

If you are in good health and do not smoke, I don't think there is anything to worry about. i read that smokers are at a very high risk for this type of cancer.

Try not to worry and enjoy life for now. You will be fine. I was always a worrier and had obsessive thoughts too only to find out I worried needlessly.

Take care and good luck.

wanttogetridofthisonceandforall

Post by wanttogetridofthisonceandforall » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi all
To all of you who replied, I am giving you an update. My HPV test came back negative !! Hurray. I thought this would clear my anxiety and it did successfully for a whole 2 days. Now my mind is still worrying about my pap even though I am even more sure now things are fine. If cervical cancer was my biggest worry and I don't have it now, why am I still worried? Wish I could answer that but I will post again when I get the final results.
Thanks again to everyone

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”