IS THIS "THE BEST" WAY TO DEAL SCARY, OCD THOUGHTS?

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
loren&missie

Post by loren&missie » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:31 pm

JUST LET THEM COME INTO MY MIND, RELAX, AND TELL MYSELF "THOUGHTS HAVE NOOOO POWER". THEY CANT HURT ME, GOD, OR ANYBODY.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:08 pm

I deal with negative thoughts in different ways. Some I can use the thought stopping technique with. Others, the more bothersome ones, I use the six steps for dealing with panic. I calm my body and my breathing. I talk comfortingly to myself. I accept that I am having intrusive thoughts and try not to give them any more power or space in my mind than I have to.

Another technique I use is to I put off worrying about the thought. (I'll say to myself that I'm going to worry and problem solve about it at 9 p.m.; most of the time I've forgotten by then.)

The program has many useful tools for dealing with obsessive thoughts. It's also helped me to ask myself what I am getting out of continuing to have the thoughts. Figuring that out was a huge key in my recovery.

honeydew3

Post by honeydew3 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:35 am

Thank You, that was very helpful.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”